Is this a good brooder plate?

Camry08

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
I’m about to buy a brooder plate for a five week old silkie chick that’s facing failure to thrive and a skin condition which may be due to her brooder heat lamp (she’s almost the size she was the day she hatched so she really needed that heat but it’s probably to warm for her normal healthy siblings). I like but this one I found because it comes with comfort feathers and is a decent price but I don’t like how it doesn’t have any reviews. Does this look like a good one or does anyone have any better recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/Wosuine-Brooder-Feathers-Cleaning-Adjustable/dp/B08CY73RVZ

I haven't actually tried any of them, but Brinsea has some 'scratch and dent' ones for not much more on their website, and the reputation as top-shelf brand.

I love my Rent a coop one! It was around 60 dollars when i got it. But that included the cone.

A good brooder plate is one that you throw in the garbage.

I know there are folks who really love these things, but I would wager you can attribute more chick deaths to them than any other piece of brooding equipment.

I am bias (obviously) but your chick may also have trouble learning and adjusting to it at this stage in the game.

if you'd like to share a little more about the health issues and maybe some pics we might be able to help troubleshoot that portion a little more for you.

I know there are folks who really love these things, but I would wager you can attribute more chick deaths to them than any other piece of brooding equipment.

I am bias (obviously) but your chick may also have trouble learning and adjusting to it at this stage in the game.

if you'd like to share a little more about the health issues and maybe some pics we might be able to help troubleshoot that portion a little more for you.
What happens?

This is a link to my latest forum post about her. Includes a list of everything I'm treating/helping her with (trying to at least) and pictures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-baby-chick-with-swollen-eyelids.1583664/

Any input or knowledge is greatly appreciated

This is a link to my latest forum post about her. Includes a list of everything I'm treating/helping her with (trying to at least) and pictures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-baby-chick-with-swollen-eyelids.1583664/

Any input or knowledge is greatly appreciated
Shoot. I am sorry she is in such bad shape. I think your idea of a brooder plate makes sense, considering it looks like she is drying out. My apologies for being so harsh about my criticism. Before they really took off, the plates were a decent quality. Now, like everything else they are being mass produced with little care and there are just so many accidents happening with them.

In this case, since she isn't dependent on heat like a new chick is, it may not be such a bad deal. However, there are a lot of threads here about a "mama pad" or something like that, where they construct essentially a brooder plate with a heating pad. I can't seem to find any links.

With that said, you have @Eggcessive helping over there and she is one of the best. Do what she says and that will most likely be the best option possible. I couldn't possibly contribute anything more useful.

If I find a link for the mama pad I will post it here.

They fail, overheat, aren't adjusted properly, etc.

There are a lot of variables with a brooder plate that just aren't there with a traditional heat lamp.
Well i have used mine for 2 batches of chickens and 1 batch of ducks. But i keep a constant eye on heat, and if its working.

Back
Top Bottom