Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Churkenduse, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Lots of us make pasta, oatmeal or rice for our flocks why not add some oil to the mix.

Everyone wants the to get Vit D etc. I thought we might mix some cod liver oil or even regular oil to some of their food.
    They use black oil sunflower seeds don't they?

This way they get the oil that soothes their tract and if you use the cod liver oil they get lots of nutrients, when adding Vit D only do it in the winter, in the summer they get all the Vit D they need from the sun.

Just make the pasta etc and while it is cooling off just add a splash. It will also aid in keeping it from sticking together.

Just a thought you might want to consider, it seems like it is a duel purpose item.

I use cod liver oil and also give it to my Dog and cats as well as my flock.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That sounds like it is a good preventative for those who have birds with problems.

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:If you're thinking about the black oil sunflower seeds, the oil is in the seeds naturally.

Your idea about adding oil to treats is a great one, though. I've often added oil to my horses' bran mash or grain to help lubricate their digestive system and keep things moving. I'm sure the chickens would love it! [​IMG]

4. Churkenduse

Jan 1, 2008
    I mis"wrote" [​IMG] meant to say they have black oil seeds for that purpose. Thanks for pointing that out, I will fix it.

But really if you want them to grease up and get more nutrition from their food I bet this would work very nicely.
    Thanks to you both for you nice comments.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Sometimes I add a capsule or two of fish oil to their oatmeal, good to know its better for them than I thought [​IMG]

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Good idea. Great way to shine on those feathers. I should really add some to my girls treats, had a couple of girls decide to go through molt this winter [​IMG] and they still look a bit like ragamuffins.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Churkenduse, I think this is a good idea [​IMG] . Cod liver oil was one of the earliest supplements added to chicken feed, way back when. With all the feathers, you gotta wonder how a bird gets much vitamin D from sunlight even during the Summer [​IMG] . And then, they lose so much of the fat-soluble vitamins in their egg production.

There is a chance of getting too much vitamin A from cod liver oil. It takes quite a bit of over-dosing in humans so I imagine that would also be true with other animals. Nevertheless, vitamin A can get stored up in the liver - that's where it's found in the cod, after all.

According to U of Missouri laying hens should have 4,000 IU of vitamin A in every kilogram of their diet. One hen should be going thru that in about 9 or 10 days.

Cod liver oil has a little more than that much vitamin A in every teaspoon. So that much should be sufficient for the daily needs of 9 or 10 hens. Or, each one of them could get one-half teaspoon once a week, or so.

Just my 2 cents [​IMG] .

Steve

8. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    Great idea for the chickens-I'll have to try it next time I give them noodles.
    I give cod liver oil (1 drop each day) to my indoor cat. I put in on his food. A doctor told me that would help with my allergies. The oil helps keep the dander down, helps keep his skin more moist. This really helps during the dry days of winter.

9. Churkenduse

Jan 1, 2008
    Love all your feedback, Thanks

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    I give my dogs 4 heaping spoons of organic yogurt and pierce two fish oil pills and squeeze it in their yogurt. Their super healthy and have beautiful coats. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by