Is this a good idea?

Whitney13

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Malvern, AR
Okay so I have solved almost all of my predator problems except for the neighbors rat terrier. I was wondering if something like this or something similar would help to deter her from digging under or pushing on my chicken wire?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/36-Decorative-Outdoor-Picket-Fence-White/10745806
I would put it outside of the pen up against my chicken wire.
I DO NOT WANT TO SHOOT THE DOG just keep her from trying to get in. I can not put up an electric fence because it is my grandparents property and they said no electric fences because of their other younger grandkids.

OK -- it's 36"? It MIGHT work but the dog will still try to dig under.

Have you spoken to the neighbors? That would be the first step.

If that doesn't work, I would get rid of the chicken wire (which as you know doesn't do a good job!) and replace it w/ woven, or at least welded, wire fencing with a hardware cloth apron (4 foot wide hardware cloth bent in half, w/ 2 feet attached to the fence and 2 feet staked into the ground). Effectively deters diggers.
smile.png

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
It's really too bad you can't put up a hot wire. A lot of dogs really don't want to come back after they've hit that with their nose! And it's not harmful to humans, just doesn't feel good.

Also too bad the darn neighbor's can't keep the dog at home before he ends up killing other people's animals. You might ask your grandfather to have a conversation with them about that. Let them know where the situation is headed and that they need to do something about it.

If those things can't be done, pawsplus is right, put up the hardware cloth and bury a skirt around the coop/run.

The problem is I have spoken to the neighbor and she doesn't care. She is still mad that both of our previous dogs were ran over. Her dog was in our yard and as my dog was chasing it out they both got hit. She shoots any dog that goes in her yard now yet she lets her dogs run free. She has had the police even come out because she shot our other neighbors dog in broad daylight in front of my cousin.
somad.gif
I will price the hardware cloth again and the welded wire but I only need a quick solution for a couple of weeks until I can let my dog out by himself. For now I will tie my dog out by the chicken pen. I have had to buy and install a underground fence for my dog so he doesn't get shot AGAIN. We are still in the process of training him to use it. So once he is trained I won't have to worry about the neighbors dog. My dog really doesn't like the neighbors dog.

Last edited:
Quote:
Why not? More than likely the neighbor's dog will still come over, will drive your dog crazy, and then your dog will go through the so-called "invisible fence." Once they go through it in hot blood they will not return in cold blood, so then you've lost your dog (or he gets shot). You would not BELIEVE the number of dogs I've found wearing those stupid invisible fencing collars. Real fences really ARE best (for both dogs and chickens!).

Electric hot wire is, however, a very good deterrent against predators, as a backup to a real fence. I would explain to your grandfather that the grandchildren can be taught not to touch (if they're so little that they can't understand that, they obviously won't be out there unsupervised anyway, right?) and that if they do, it won't hurt them much.
wink.png

Last edited:
I place woven wire around my fence and put it about foot deep. It wasn't long the digging stop! Now the dogs just like to run at the chickens and scare them to death!

Wait. This neighbor who owns this dog shoot's other people's dogs who come on HER property but she lets HER dog run all over other people's property and threaten their livestock??!! This would NOT happen at my house! Oh heck no!

Call animal control and tell them what's going on, they may come out and have a conversation with her. If they don't and if you have talked to her and she doesn't care then next time that dog is over catch him and take him to the pound and tell them he was after your chickens. If she gets him back and it continues, take him to another county next time. Don't be railroaded by this rude bully of a neighbor.

Edited to add: It's also interesting that she's mad at YOU because her dog get hit by a car while SHE was letting it run loose!! Whose dog was chasing who doesn't matter, they were all loose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom