Is this a good idea?

Quote:
We live next to a cow pasture and our dog's tail hit the fence when she was a puppy trying to chase the cows. That was 4 years ago and she still won't go near it!
tongue.png

Quote:
Why not? More than likely the neighbor's dog will still come over, will drive your dog crazy, and then your dog will go through the so-called "invisible fence." Once they go through it in hot blood they will not return in cold blood, so then you've lost your dog (or he gets shot). You would not BELIEVE the number of dogs I've found wearing those stupid invisible fencing collars. Real fences really ARE best (for both dogs and chickens!).

Electric hot wire is, however, a very good deterrent against predators, as a backup to a real fence. I would explain to your grandfather that the grandchildren can be taught not to touch (if they're so little that they can't understand that, they obviously won't be out there unsupervised anyway, right?) and that if they do, it won't hurt them much.
wink.png

I agree that children can be taught, and like animals, if they do touch it likely it will only be once! I got buzzed by the pasture fence one time on accident - it definitely wasn't comfortable, but it wasn't excruciatingly painful or anything. It's much more effective on animals b/c most times people are wearing shoes which blocks some of the shock. We have lived here our children's whole lives (4, 2, and NB) and have yet to have one of the older two get shocked by it. DS (4) helps pick up sticks and throws them over the fence - he gets close but knows not to touch it.

Neighbors that let their dogs roam irritates the heck out of me. We have some across the street and for some reason majority of their multiple dogs end up aggressive. I had one pit bull mix pacing outside my coop one day. They have come after us in our own yard! They constantly chase cars, bikes, horses, etc. going down the road. Eventually they mess with the wrong people and disappear
tongue.png
. I am actually thinking about getting a small pellet or BB gun just for that reason - so I can protect my little ones and animals if the need ever arises.

Quote:
x one million!

As long as there is record or proof of you trying to deal with the problem in the proper fashion, then if the dog still comes over and is terrorizing the chickens then you have every right to deal with the problem as you see fit. And with the proof that you attempted to deal with the problem maturely then there's next to nothing that she can do when her dog comes up missing.

I'd definately catch the dog and take it to the pound and if she gets it back and it keeps doing it then I'd take it FAR away to the pound where she more than likely won't find it. She'll probably blame you but unless she sees you catch the dog, what's she gonna do?

Quote:
I did this one time for our neighbor's dogs. They chased our cat under my DH's Suburban and tore it up trying to get to it. The blasted thing even chewed on the bumper!!! They tore out some wires and a hose, thankfully they were just sensors and the windshield washing fluid. They also killed DH's grandparents cat that same night. I called animal control and they gave them a warning (enough for them to keep them penned up for a while) but said they couldn't do anything without photographic proof - a picture of the animal with an obvious landmark from your yard so they no without a doubt that it was on your property. I started keeping my camera by the door for that reason and documented every time I saw them here, thankfully never had to use it b/c another neighbor took care of them for us...

The only problem is we live right on the county line and way out of city limits so none of the pounds will take the dogs from around here. Some people come up with some pretty stupid laws. I will ask again about the electric fence. Thanks everyone for your posts.

By the way I do keep a BB gun by the back door. She just doesn't seem to be phased by it anymore but she still takes off when I yell at her.

Here is how I deal with the animals on the outside. Place a electric wire about 2 inches off of the ground. Our dogs WILL NOT even look towards the chicken pens.

My mom's got hot wire around her pastures & my son's hit it twice after we made sure he understood what it was (about 2yrs apart) & lemme tell ya, he didn't CRY but it got his attention & he's very careful with the fences now. It won't take but once & they'll figure it out & won't go near it. & I agree, if they're too young to understand that, then they shouldn't be out unattended anyway.

But to prevent some stupid neighbor's dog from getting my chickens... heck YEAH I would so put up a hot wire on the bottom... or I'd shoot it & you already said you don't wanna do that.

As for the invisible fences, I agree on that front too. If they take off after something, especially in anger (chasing off another dog, etc), LIKELY they'll blow thru the fence line without realizing it & only when they come back, they'll get hit again trying to come back in your perimeter. So lots of dogs accidentally learn not to return to the yard after they've left it, OR that it's "not so bad" to go over the line & then the fence won't do any good at all.

I've seen them work great for more controlled environments, but when you have something running around like bait, I have to say it's just not fair to expect your dog to stay on his side if this dog can come & go as he pleases, I'd fully expect my dog to blow the fence & go after that other dog any day!

Sorry you're dealing with such crap from neighbors, but I really do think a low hot wire around the chickens would work better & quicker for you, other than just getting rid of that dog somehow.

Quote:
The fellow that works for us once had a problem dog, similar situation with the pound. He finally caught the dog, took it to the pound and told them he was in town and saw the dog on a busy road, that it was in traffic and he was afraid it would get hit. They took the dog. I don't advocate lying but in this case it got the dog taken care of when nobody else would help him.

We have a similar law here, my city pound won't take dogs from us, we have to call the county pound which is in the next town over and they will come and pick it up. But I know that in some places your just on your own.

You might also want to be careful about shooting it with a BB gun. If you hit the dog and the owner finds out about it you can be charged with animal cruelty. Ridiculous I know but true and this neighbor sounds like she's the one that would sue you in a heartbeat.

Good luck. No fun dealing with crappy neighbor's and their dogs.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have talked to my grandparents about the hotwire and they said they would consider it.

As for the BB gun the deputy who got called out when she shot the neighbors dog came to talk to my grandfather and my cousin, he said that if we have any problems with dogs we should try with a BB gun first and if that don't work then we can take more drastic measures. My grandfather had told him about how her dog was all the time in our yard and barking at us and our chickens. So I think we are good as far as that goes and it is a lot nicer than the .22 bullet she put in my dog's leg.

Back
Top Bottom