Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenPeep, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    So, i have 7 chickens and we've been planning to get them a coop since the beginning of summer.
    We have procrastinated for wayy too long. We were planning on buying a very large one, but now not all of our chickens are getting along togetherand we have them seperated in different pens. I was thinking it would be a good idea to buy 2 medium coops. The only problem is.... we dont know how big, or where to buy one.

So, i guess what im asking is, do you think my idea is good? If so, do you know what size of coop or where to get one? (websites are fine too)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. KevinHanses

KevinHanses Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Six Lakes, Mi
    I would just get one medium sized one with a decent run. If there's enough room, I'd think they'd stay out of each others' way.

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I have 2 coops the first one is 8x8 (converted shed) and the second is a 4x6 raised coop with 3ft at the front sloping to 2.5 ft at the rear. The larger coop comfortably houses 6 hens (should be able to hold 12) and the second smaller has 4 hens.
    This set up was due to hens disagreeing on, well, everything. [​IMG]

I think you should do the 2 medium coops.

We built ours. It was not hard to do and works well.
    I did see at our Lowes a demo shed that was prebuilt and undersized from what the ordered one would be.
    It was on sale at a decent price and could be converted easily.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I built mine (8X12) with plans out of my head based on all the features I read about that I liked, modifying as needed to accommodate what salvage materials I had obtained. (See my BYC page for pics of my set-up) I have had as few as a dozen to as many as 60 chickens without any problems due to the large Run.

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:how much was it?

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You could also buy a shed and divide it in half. Pop door out either side and supplies in the middle with human doors. Just an idea. Since you are in KS you might want to insulate it and add some ventilation that is closeable in case of blizzards.

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:I would if i could find one under $800!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by