Is this a good idea?

KBGChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
I am thinking about moving my brooder to my garage, I already put up a secure hook you can say. It is twelve inches above the bin (brooder) and I put the 250 watt heat lamp above and it stays on good and it is secure but after the lamp in my garage (I already have everything set up in my brooder) I was thinking about getting a space heater inside the garage to keep the garage and normal room temperature like seventy or sixty eight because I am in Michigan and sometimes it gets cold at night is this a good idea to have the heat lamp and space heater? Would it be too hot or cold?

I would set up the brooder under the heat lamp with no space heater for a few hours and monitor the temperature with a thermometer inside of the brooder. that is probably the best way to tell if it will be too cold with just the heat lamp, but with a 250 watt, i feel like it would be warm enough with just the heat lamp.

That sounds good to me - and you might not even need the space heater. I've had my chicks out in our shed (an insulated building, but no heat) and they have been plenty warm with just a 250w heat lamp, even on a couple of nights last week where it got down into the 20s.

I have had my chicks out in our sw michigan garage since they were 2 days old with one, sometimes 2 heat lamps on them (like the freak snowy cold days we had last week). As long as you have a thermometer to check the temp and it is the correct temp for your age chicks they will be fine without the space heater.

I have had my chicks out in our sw michigan garage since they were 2 days old with one, sometimes 2 heat lamps on them (like the freak snowy cold days we had last week). As long as you have a thermometer to check the temp and it is the correct temp for your age chicks they will be fine without the space heater.

I put them in the garage now it is going to be in the high 40s and low 50s at night with one heat lamp and the heat lamp 22 inches from the bottom of the brooder is that good?

I really don't know and how what kind of thermostat would I need to find the temperature? I put the thermostat directly on the bulb it was like 97 or 100

just a regular old thermometer can be set down at chick height to ensure that you are getting a good temp under the heat source. First week they need to be at 95, drop 5 degrees the next week and again the week after until you get to the point you don't need the heat any longer. Make sure the chicks can get away from the heat as well if they are feeling too warm. They will self regulate where they need to be to be comfortable if given the option :) hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom