Is This a Good Mix of Chickens?

I think I have a bantam EE right now - she is about 1/2 the size of my RIR. She is really spunky and quick and holds her own with my Production and Rhode Island Reds. She's really a cutie. I don't know what to expect with the Araucana I am buying since I think the man at the feed store didn't know what he was talking about - either way I think I will be OK. Thank you for the tips on the run set-up. The coop and run I have now are both too small so it will be a very busy spring indeed, but I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! I plan to hang onto my smaller coop so if any problems develop I can always separate some of them although this would be disappointing. Thank you again for all of your chicken advice.
big_smile.png

I have many different breeds free ranging and they all seem to do great. I just added some brown leghorns & white leghorns back in June as day old chicks. They are getting really close to laying age...I can't wait!!! The white ones are REALLY friendly as far as they will follow you around the back yard and hang out by my backdoor for treats....but not too keen on being petted or held. I LOVE my brown leghorns!!! They are gorgeous to me anyway...very pretty coloring! And...ummm...yeah...silkies are DANGEROUS!!!! I have to constantly talk myself out of bringing them into the house and putting chickie diapers on them and turning them into house pets!!!
hide.gif
Of course...I don't share these thoughts with anyone:oops:

I bought leghorns to bump up my egg laying not to snuggle! I have other breeds for that!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That sounds like a great mix of egg layers. They should keep you in eggs. I have several of those breeds and have no complaints. If you only get one leghorn and raise it with the others and cuddle it alot when it is little it should not be flighty and will lay you a nice big egg most days. Our leghorn was raised with other friendlier breeds and she loves attention. One of the first to run up and expect a neck scratch every morning.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all of your suggestions and comments. I'm getting SO EXCITED reading this I can barely wait til spring. I have a lot of coop and run planning and building to do, so that should help keep my mind occupied while I wait for the chicks - sometime in late March or early April! Thank you all again for sharing your chicken experiences and advice!

How about a Maran or a Welsummer? If you get a good hen, it will lay darker brown eggs! Also, I like to think about the days when every one of the hens lays an egg...what would that look like? You would have only one white egg, two blue/green eggs, four brown eggs. If that's what you envision, it's great, if you are hoping for a different "look", then adjust accordingly if you can.

You will like White Leghorns. I have 3 in my flock, because my wife wanted white eggs. They fit in very well with my Isa Browns, & Barred Rocks who lay Brown eggs. My 3 Black Copper Marans who lay a darker Brown egg, My 3 Silver Lace Wyandottes who lay a tan egg & my EE's Mint Green eggs. Come Easter I won't need to purchase any dye. My Leghorns were a bit flighty at first, but now are as loving & gentle like all the others.

Sounds like a good mix to me. Space always diminishes problems.
I have all brown layers(various shades) Orps, Giants and Rocks. My 10 girls have laid 10 eggs on 4 different occasions.
I have young ones that will be laying by March.
An Ameraucana, a Wellsummer, Minorcas, Anconas and Jaerhons. I can't wait to see all the colors together.

J.Pryce :

You will like White Leghorns. I have 3 in my flock, because my wife wanted white eggs. They fit in very well with my Isa Browns, & Barred Rocks who lay Brown eggs. My 3 Black Copper Marans who lay a darker Brown egg, My 3 Silver Lace Wyandottes who lay a tan egg & my EE's Mint Green eggs. Come Easter I won't need to purchase any dye. My Leghorns were a bit flighty at first, but now are as loving & gentle like all the others.

Thank you. I was worried about the leghorn because I've read more than once that they can be aggressive. It sounds like you have an awesome mix!​

How much space do you have in your coop and run? Do you have at least 4 sq ft of coop space and 10 sq ft in the run per chicken? More is better but have at least 14 sq ft per bird to keep the pecking and fighting down in your flock.

-Nate

Back
Top Bottom