Is this a good pip?

Thanks for the link! I was frantically reading up on hatching last night and this morning lol. Sigh, poor daughter is at a GS cookie booth instead of watching the chicks. We expected them to hatch tomorrow.....Hopefully she gets to see a few hatch.

Isn't it so much fun!! Congrats!!! My youngest are 1 week old and I'm already contemplating my next batch...lol I try to stay out of the "Incubating & Hatching" forum, but it is sooooo hard!! Lol

Last edited:
I know! I don't plan to do another hatch until my Easter hatch, which would mean setting them March 15th, and I so want to do it now!! lol I'm looking for showgirl eggs though and would like to get some locally, but might have to ship, not finding too much in my area.

I have 5 chicks hatched. 1 still has 'stuff' off its rear end. One other did, but it did fall off after a little bit. This one is still trailing a little gunk. Is it ok to put it in the brooder with the others with it still attached? Chick is moving around a lot.

I have 5 chicks hatched.  1 still has 'stuff' off its rear end.  One other did, but it did fall off after a little bit.  This one is still trailing a little gunk.  Is it ok to put it in the brooder with the others with it still attached?  Chick is moving around a lot.  

Great hatching going on!!! You've done great!!
If the 'stuff' is still attached you might want to wait a bit as the others might pick at it. If it doesn't look bloody, and you feel comfortable with it, you might trim some of it off. Not to close to the body, but enough that it isn't trailing behind it, or just leave it for a bit as long as it isn't stepping on it. You don't want that bit getting yanked off too soon...

Thanks. It looks like some yolk actually. 3 chicks hatched and were kind of stuck to their shells. I pulled the membrane etc away from the shell and left the it attached to the chick. I thought maybe it is the remnants of the umbilical/yolk sack.

So far 6 chicks-4 black with some white/yellow down their backs and 2 yellow. 2 eggs are pipped and 1 is still not.

I am relieved that so far it all went well. It was definitely easier when the hen took care of all of this!!

Thanks for your support!

Thanks.  It looks like some yolk actually.  3 chicks hatched and were kind of stuck to their shells.  I pulled the membrane etc away from the shell and left the it attached to the chick.  I thought maybe it is the remnants of the umbilical/yolk sack.  

So far 6 chicks-4 black with some white/yellow down their backs and 2 yellow.  2 eggs are pipped and 1 is still not.

I am relieved that so far it all went well.  It was definitely easier when the hen took care of all of this!!

Thanks for your support!

Glad to be able to help! It sounds like it is the remnants of their attachment to the albumen/white. If it isn't causing problems, them it is fine to leave it, it'll fall off on its own. If it gets yanked out it could bleed, so just keep your eye on it. Hope your daughter comes home soon! :D

She got home in time to see a few hatch! She may get to see one more hatch before she goes out for an overnight...Lots and lots of pictures have been taken!

We have 1 more pipped egg and one non pipped egg left to go. Almost done with this part. A bit nerve-wracking! How long does it normally take them to have control of their legs? I am surprised at how long it seems to take. #1 & 2 are pretty good-they hatched by 8 this morning and are pretty steady. Everyone else is still pretty uncoordinated.

Thanks again for the support....it is very reassuring to be able to get quick info from other people's experience.

She got home in time to see a few hatch!  She may get to see one more hatch before she goes out for an overnight...Lots and lots of pictures have been taken!   

We have 1 more pipped egg and one non pipped egg left to go.  Almost done with this part.  A bit nerve-wracking!  How long does it normally take them to have control of their legs?  I am surprised at how long it seems to take.  #1 & 2 are pretty good-they hatched by 8 this morning and are pretty steady.  Everyone else is still pretty uncoordinated.  

Thanks again for the support....it is very reassuring to be able to get quick info from other people's experience.

Awesome!!! So happy for you guys!! :D
BYC is so amazing for connecting people to allow this to happen, I love it!! I was a wreck during my first hatch, slept next to the incubator too, lol!
Some get their 'land legs' quicker than others, but they all should be walking around well within 24 hrs of their own hatch... if one can't after 24 hrs and looks like its doing the splits, then it might need 'splints' to help it. Just make a post asking for help with possible splay leg. But I bet they will all be running around and happily chirping by morning!
Congratulations on your first successful hatch! Post pics of the fluffed up chicks on the New Chicks Pics thread, too, please!!

Back
Top Bottom