Is this a good quail pen?

very nice. how many more square feet do you want to add and how many birds were you thinking? I think we recommend absolute min. .75 sq. ft for adult birds, we like 1+ sq. ft per bird and love 2+ sq. ft. per adult bird.
imho, your birds will be happier with more space to stretch out and with less disturbances from coopmates.

Ok!!! Here's mine >
63768_texas_flag_006.jpg

We just finished the "coop" portion of the quail structure. It is about 4x4x2'tall wooden box, covered with corrugated plastic for weather proofing, with 2 little entrance exit holes that will lead into a run that will be 3.5'wide x 2'tall x about 12' long, fully enclosed with aviary wire but sitting on the ground for dirt/grass to come through for dust bathing etc. It hhas 2 cellar style doors that open from the top.

Here is the "coop"
59865_2011-08-22_22-34-19_663.jpg

My only worry is how the coop opens. The top doors are large and I need to figure out a way for the quail to not escape.

If your doors are made of wire you might could make some smaller doors within the doors. I did that to a couple of wire cages that were converted to house cockatiels, just made a smaller door within the larger door so I didn't have any escapees...Just an idea.

Ii thought of that, yes, but the doors are made of corrugated plastic for water runoff. It may be possiible to do it, but ithe DH said he's DONE building things for my birds after this.

Back
Top Bottom