Is this a hawk or vulture, and is it a threat?

The only thing bad about them is if you get to close to their nest they will ummmm puke on you. The smell of their stomach contents is not something you want to experience and it is not something you can wash off.

My poor saddle, horse, and myself were never the same after that afternoon.

Turkey buzzards aren't a threat. But you can't tell our turkeys that they send the alarm out everytime one is around and everyone goes running under the coop. They set the alarm out for seagulls too when the boys are out plowing the fields.

Quote:
Bald Eagle

BaldEagle.jpg

Bald-Eagle.jpg

Turkey Vulture AKA Buzzard

TurkeyVulture.jpg

big_smile.png

Once as a kid, we all laid out in a field when we saw one circling. We didn't move for a long time and watched as more and more gathered. We chickened out when they started getting lower and closer.

We'd also see them in the sky and track down what they were after.

Post otherwise known as: What Country Kids Do For Fun
smile.png

Turkey Vultures are good to have around to eat the carrion and I have noticed no hawks when they are around (as well as the crows). In Asia, they had a recent population crash of their vultures due to a pesticide poisoning them. This has caused a big problem with carrion build up and served a valuable lesson about the environmental worthiness of these birds.

Back
Top Bottom