1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a hen or rooster ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cottonwood23, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Like human beings, chickens of the same age often mature at different rates. I taught upper school for a number of years and I had occasional 10th-11th graders that looked like 8th graders and the occasional 8th grader that needed to shave. :eek:)

1 person likes this.
  2. cottonwood23

cottonwood23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia

Well that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info. I may need to get a rooster then

3. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. You only need a rooster if you want to fertilize eggs for hatching and if you have enough hens to go around. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters (or too few hens) will become very hard physically on your hens, over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, reducing their egg production, and potentially, seriously injuring them. For the purpose of fertilizing eggs, 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  4. cottonwood23

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia

That is what I was told. I would like to incubate eggs soon. And I have two different flocks in two different coops. I was thinking of doing it that way to keep breeds more seperate to know exactly what I was hatching etc. But the 4 month old coop now has 6 hens and no roosters in it. 2 are white legorns and the other 4 are easter Egger's. I would like to get a Leghorn rooster so I can get more of those. What is your input on that?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think adding a Leghorn rooster to those hens would be a nice idea. You could easily tell which birds were pure Leghorns and which were leghorn/EE mixes. Both hatches should be great layers, folks are crossing the leghorns with EE and calling them Super Blue Egg Layers. I've done it with brown Leghorns years and years ago and was very pleased with the offspring....nice hens that laid tons of large pale blue or green eggs.

You may have a bit of an issue with not enough hens, but that will simply depend on the rooster and your space. Some groups will do fine with those numbers, some roosters will over breed the hens at that ratio. It's a try it and see how it goes kind of thing, just keep an eye on your hens. You may need to either pull the rooster for a while or add more hens at some point so he can spread the lovin' around a little more.

6. cottonwood23

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia

Well getting more chickens is never an issue ha. But thanks for the input. I have a plan in my mind but I just gotta get it all done

7. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Hens can have different traits from one another. They will lack the rooster feathering but one can still be heavier than the other, have a different personality, or have a bigger comb. :)

8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Getting a White Leghorn rooster would certainly breed excellent laying ability into your flock. I would definitely advise getting at least 3-4 more hens though, especially if you go with a Leghorn male as they tend to be active, even aggressive breeders. If you are going to stick with just 6 hens, I would recommend going with a rooster from one of the good laying breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle such as Australorps, Faverolles, Orpingtons, Sussex, or Brahmas. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed and even with a calm and gentle rooster, 6 hens could be pushing things.

9. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Well I highly recommend the Easter egger rooster mine is sweet calm and is very gentle with his Hans and is very protective of them and take good care of them if mine here's one of his hens making a noise and he can't see her then he comes a running but it's your choice just thought I would mention that to help u make the right choice

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Michael

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by