Is this a hen or rooster ?

Getting a White Leghorn rooster would certainly breed excellent laying ability into your flock. I would definitely advise getting at least 3-4 more hens though, especially if you go with a Leghorn male as they tend to be active, even aggressive breeders. If you are going to stick with just 6 hens, I would recommend going with a rooster from one of the good laying breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle such as Australorps, Faverolles, Orpingtons, Sussex, or Brahmas. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed and even with a calm and gentle rooster, 6 hens could be pushing things.

Well I highly recommend the Easter egger rooster mine is sweet calm and is very gentle with his Hans and is very protective of them and take good care of them if mine here's one of his hens making a noise and he can't see her then he comes a running but it's your choice just thought I would mention that to help u make the right choice

OK thanks for the info. I will have to get on the move then. Spring will be here before you know it and I wanted all to happen before spring

So how young do you think is to young to free range. All my chickens stay in their coops but I am thinking about letting them free range soon. But the predators are bad here and I can't decide if it's even worth the risk
I got 4 that are 7 months old.. And 6 that 4 months old
Your birds are old enough to free range if you chose to do so. Just be aware that if you free range, you will lose some of them to predators. It will be up to you to decide whether or not the losses are acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom