is this a hen?

jordan293

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015
Las cruces, nm
Is this a hen? I'm very new to chickens so its hard for me to tell its probably at least 7 weeks old its been fully feathered for about 3 weeks now it has this tiny little red comb but no wattles

I would say pullet. Some breeds will develop knobs or some even small spurs.
Other indicators you can use to try and differentiate hens from roos are the comb and wattles. Roos will at around 6-7 weeks be showing signs of small wattles and a redness in their combs, while the pullets remain pinkish and turn red much later and no wattles for some time. Something else to look for are neck and tail feathering,, roos will start to show signs of sickleing (curving) in their tail feathers while the whens will generally jut straight out. In neck feathers the roos will will be longer and thinner and come to point while the hens will be a bit wider and shorter and have a more rounded tip
Of course these indications are not always accurate as I have diagnosed my own birds as deffinite roos or hens at an early age or even older,, only to have them surprise me and a supposed "roo" start laying eggs :D But they should be helpful in most cases :)

Back
Top Bottom