1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this a japanese bantam?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilbreeches, Mar 13, 2009.

1. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    ok this little one is about 4 weeks old. it a little bantam i got at the feed store. can anyone tell me what kind she/he is? i am kinda thinking a japanese of some kind as she/he has short legs and the "squatty" looking walk. her/his feathers also look kinda ruffled most of the time. not sure what that means. anyway, can anyone help?

[​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Highly possible, but I cannot be certain.

3. lilbreeches

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    does anyone have a good website that i can go to compare pictures to my chickie to see what she/he might be?

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    at this age my japs' tails were upright

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    If you go to feathersite.com and look up Japanese bantams, there will probably be pics of chicks, and also links to Japanese bantam clubs where you may find more photos.

chel

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    It's possible but for some reason, I am doubting it. Hard to tell.
    Here is a picture of my black tailed buffs when small. Not sure if a comparison will help or not.

[​IMG]

7. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    My old english bantam was kinda squatty looking.

8. lilbreeches

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    her tail usually does stand up but she was a little worried about sitting on my desk rather than in the familiar brooder. i think after looking at other pics and using the ones by becky3086, i do believe i have a little black tailed buff jap. thanks all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by