Is this a lash egg?

lightm

Don't Peck On Me
Premium Feather Member
Jan 31, 2022
Southeast NC
Tina has been feeling poorly for almost 2 weeks. Today I found this in the coop. I am pretty sure it is from her. She also seems a bit more perked up. Maybe passing this helps?

Before cutting
20230604_173105.jpg
20230604_173038.jpg

After cut open
20230604_173233.jpg
20230604_173243.jpg

It feels more like organ than lash egg? I've seen many pictures of lash eggs on byc and they all look a bit different from this. Any thought is appreciated.

Thank you Shad.
Looks like you've got a sick hen.:hugsI'm sorry to write there isn't much you can do about it. Some report some limited success with antibiotics but it's a temporary measure at best and often does more damage to the hens natural ability to fight infections than they are worth.
Pain relief is an option in the last couple of weeks of their life if you can make a judgement on this.

Looks like you've got a sick hen.:hugsI'm sorry to write there isn't much you can do about it. Some report some limited success with antibiotics but it's a temporary measure at best and often does more damage to the hens natural ability to fight infections than they are worth.
Pain relief is an option in the last couple of weeks of their life if you can make a judgement on this.
This is indeed sad given I am going away for 2 months. My husband already told me that if Tina dies he will be an emotional wreck. He will dig the deepest hole for her as he cries. :-(

But @RoyalChick 's Maggie lived another 2 years since first lash egg? So I am hoping for the same here.

This is indeed sad given I am going away for 2 months. My husband already told me that if Tina dies he will be an emotional wreck. He will dig the deepest hole for her as he cries. :-(

But @RoyalChick 's Maggie lived another 2 years since first lash egg? So I am hoping for the same here.
Yes, some hens lay a couple of lash eggs and carry on laying normal eggs for some time. One assumes they have fought off whatever infection caused the lash egg. I hope this is the case with your hen.

Yes it's a lash egg, and you can try antibiotics if you want to try saving her. No guarantees if it'll work as that will only treat a bacterial infection. Viral salpingitis is not treatable.

I have a hen that laid a lash egg last year, a few normal eggs after, and then a lash egg earlier this year (and nothing at all since). I'm hoping that she simply doesn't lay again when next year rolls around. I treated her with enrofloxacin, dosage and withdrawal info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg.1441042/

We also have a girl who had a lash egg 2 years ago and she is still with us and laying eggs regularly 🙂
I will add that she was young (14 mo) and only had one very tiny lash egg before we started treating her with Amoxicillin. If you decide to treat your girl, hopefully she responds as well as Onyx did.
Here is the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg-help.1476525/

We also have a girl who had a lash egg 2 years ago and she is still with us and laying eggs regularly 🙂
I will add that she was young (14 mo) and only had one very tiny lash egg before we started treating her with Amoxicillin. If you decide to treat your girl, hopefully she responds as well as Onyx did.
Here is the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg-help.1476525/
After reading your thread, I feel like Tina's case is quite close to your Onyx. She is 20 months old though. We actually gave her fish mox for 4 days using the advised dosage. She did not get better, so we stopped antibiotics (about 3 days ago).

I am going to give her calcium pills and maybe put her back on antibiotics. Passing the lash egg did make her feel better but not all the way. Her current butt is also looking better (no longer messy with all the runny poop.)

Back
Top Bottom