Is this a lavender coloring?

Azulegg

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
south central PA
Here is my clean faced tailed araucana hen. Is this color considered a lavender?

newhens015.jpg

Well I had bought some araucana chicks two years ago (only one turned out rumpless). I had a rumpless tufted roo which bred the hens and she came from one of the hatches (I have some very nice broody girls!). Unfortunately, I have only her, a cockeral (rumpless) and the roo left as a freaking predator broke in and killed all my araucanas.
sad.png

I took a look at the thread however I am still not sure if my hen is a lavender or just a blue.

Last edited:
well, from what I know, lavender in this breed is just being developed and only a select few have any, and mostly splits at that. Hinkjc just started their lav aruacana project more recently. With that said she is probably a very pretty light blue.
smile.png

edited to remove misinformation
wink.png
, thanks for the heads up
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
As to my araucanas I got the originals from Hinkjc. When I was breeding them, they seemed to throw a lot of blues. Unfortunately, all blue ones except for one hen dead thanks to predator attacks (some died while hatching like araucanas usually do). Here is an araucana cockeral that survived I thought he was going to be pure blue as he started out blue and then turned into colorful (btw he does have a lateral ear tuft):

newbarn015.jpg

Quote:
As to my araucanas I got the originals from Hinkjc. When I was breeding them, they seemed to throw a lot of blues. Unfortunately, all blue ones except for one hen dead thanks to predator attacks (some died while hatching like araucanas usually do). Here is an araucana cockeral that survived I thought he was going to be pure blue as he started out blue and then turned into colorful (btw he does have a lateral ear tuft):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Scstables/newbarn015.jpg

I also have a roo that started all blue but at 10 weeks has red shoulders. He will probably look just like yours when he matures, thanks for showing the pic. If you e-mail Jody she will be able to tell you if any of her birds carried the lav gene, but I too am betting it is just a very light blue.

Back
Top Bottom