Is this a lavender coloring?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Azulegg, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Azulegg

Azulegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    Here is my clean faced tailed araucana hen. Is this color considered a lavender?

[​IMG]

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Where did you get her? She is a pretty girl [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. Azulegg

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    Well I had bought some araucana chicks two years ago (only one turned out rumpless). I had a rumpless tufted roo which bred the hens and she came from one of the hatches (I have some very nice broody girls!). Unfortunately, I have only her, a cockeral (rumpless) and the roo left as a freaking predator broke in and killed all my araucanas. [​IMG]

I took a look at the thread however I am still not sure if my hen is a lavender or just a blue.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well, from what I know, lavender in this breed is just being developed and only a select few have any, and mostly splits at that. Hinkjc just started their lav aruacana project more recently. With that said she is probably a very pretty light blue. [​IMG]

edited to remove misinformation [​IMG] , thanks for the heads up [​IMG]

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    She looks more like a light blue...breed her to a black to know for sure.

7. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    She's just a light blue,Selfs dont have the lacing or ticking like she does.......

8. Azulegg

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    Quote:As to my araucanas I got the originals from Hinkjc. When I was breeding them, they seemed to throw a lot of blues. Unfortunately, all blue ones except for one hen dead thanks to predator attacks (some died while hatching like araucanas usually do). Here is an araucana cockeral that survived I thought he was going to be pure blue as he started out blue and then turned into colorful (btw he does have a lateral ear tuft):

[​IMG]

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:As to my araucanas I got the originals from Hinkjc. When I was breeding them, they seemed to throw a lot of blues. Unfortunately, all blue ones except for one hen dead thanks to predator attacks (some died while hatching like araucanas usually do). Here is an araucana cockeral that survived I thought he was going to be pure blue as he started out blue and then turned into colorful (btw he does have a lateral ear tuft):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Scstables/newbarn015.jpg

I also have a roo that started all blue but at 10 weeks has red shoulders. He will probably look just like yours when he matures, thanks for showing the pic. If you e-mail Jody she will be able to tell you if any of her birds carried the lav gene, but I too am betting it is just a very light blue.

10. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I to had chicks hatch out and stayt growing blue feathers and then they turned out all kinds of crazy colors !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by