Is this a leghorn?

Happy Chick Home

Chirping
Sep 15, 2022
New Mexico
During the summer I got an unknown variety of chicks which are now 5+ months. As they grew it appeared, very clearly, that I had 2 leghorn cockerels and 1 leghorn pullet. As they approached 4 1/2 months I began looking for a white leghorn egg. Waiting patiently. My pullet continued putting on weight and height. She is bigger all around, broader chested than any of the other birds. Then her comb began to darken and grow. Now "she" is crowing and chasing and breeding the young hens.
Is he a leghorn?

Attachments

• 20221205_065609.jpg
    20221205_065609.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221205_065321.jpg
    20221205_065321.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 23
He's not a Leghorn. Wrong color skin and wrong color ear lobes.

Where did you get them? He looks like a mix.

I got them at the local flea market. I am #1 Newbie so just needed to learn. I knew they weren't exceptional show chicks - just layers.
Are leghorns yellow skinned? There was one with yellow legs but as there were too many cockerels some had to go and he is gone. The other 2 are white legged.

I got them at the local flea market. I am #1 Newbie so just needed to learn. I knew they weren't exceptional show chicks - just layers.
Are leghorns yellow skinned? There was one with yellow legs but as there were too many cockerels some had to go and he is gone. The other 2 are white legged.
Yep! Yellow skin with white ear lobes.

Thank you for the welcome.
I learn as much as I can and do the best I can for all my critters.
The other thing is that I got an adult Black Copper Maren rooster to help take care of the ladies. (Coyotes around here.) He comes after me and body slams me if I walk out to the feeding area past him even when he is still "in bed" and I can't see him. I can't rearrange the set up now though working on a different one. I have to boot him in the head a couple of times and he gives up. (Soft boots.)
Also, after I took the other cockerel out and didn't return him, the rooster now watches out for the boys and not the hens so much.
The boys have to go. I want to keep 1and don't know how to decide which one. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom