Is this a male auracana trait?

cpendergraff

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
[/IMG]

This is my auracana (hen) and jersey giant cross. I really want it to be a "she" so we can keep her, but its starting to get little feather tuffs around the "cheek" area.

Is this a male characteristic only?

Last edited:
Nope, both male and female Araucanas can be tufted. EE and Ameraucanas also have facial feathers which can be apparent on either sex.

We bought an Auracana as well and the comb on ours looks quite a bit different than yours. I think ours is a male, especially after looking at yours. Here's a picture of ours at about 8 weeks....

[/IMG]

This is my auracana (hen) and jersey giant cross. I really want it to be a "she" so we can keep her, but its starting to get little feather tuffs around the "cheek" area.

Is this a male characteristic only?

Tufts aren't a male trait. Some breeds of chickens have them,some don't. It's not a sign that your chick is a rooster. Both hens and roosters of special "tufted" breeds have tufts. Your chick looks like a hen,considering their hasn't been any comb development early in age. And also,that's not an Araucana. Araucanas are rumpless. That chick is an Easter-Egger.

We bought an Auracana as well and the comb on ours looks quite a bit different than yours. I think ours is a male, especially after looking at yours. Here's a picture of ours at about 8 weeks....

That's a rooster. Not an Araucana,though. They are rumpless. That's an Easter-Egger.

Back
Top Bottom