Is this a male barred rock?

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
One pic was to show the wash on the legs. 14 weeks old.

I've read that the wash on the legs and the black feathers, versus gray, for this breed indicates female. But the face is dark and fleshy! Would love your take and if you really know your stuff, please educate me! A fan is blowing on him or her in the full body pic. Just FYI on some slightly ruffles feathers. PXL_20220712_231453202.MP.jpg PXL_20220712_231447956.MP.jpg PXL_20220712_231312459.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220712_232103394.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220712_232103394.MP.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 1
Nope, I believe that's a pullet. I don't see any pointy feathers yet at the neck or saddle. But mostly, it's the pattern of the feathers. The black and white pattern on males is smaller and more distinct. Females' pattern is a bit more muted with slightly larger areas of color.
See this thread for comparison:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/barred-rock-15-weeks-roo-or-hen.694329/
Thanks!

It's her face that throws me off. None of my others have anywhere near that big of a comb or that red of a face. But am also not sure how much that makes a difference versus the other pieces.

It's her face that throws me off. None of my others have anywhere near that big of a comb or that red of a face. But am also not sure how much that makes a difference versus the other pieces.
It's common for pullets to get big red combs quite suddenly, when they get close to laying age. If you look at photos of mature Barred Rock hens, you will see they often have combs that large.

It's common for pullets to get big red combs quite suddenly, when they get close to laying age. If you look at photos of mature Barred Rock hens, you will see they often have combs that large.
Do large wattles play much of a role in identifying gender? Again, just trying to learn. Thanks!

Do large wattles play much of a role in identifying gender? Again, just trying to learn. Thanks!
Usually yes. Comb and wattles change in most of the same ways, both going from small & pale to big & red. (Exception: chickens with a beard will have small wattles that are hard to see.)

Young pullets usually have tiny combs & wattles.
Young cockerels start getting bigger, redder combs & wattles at a fairly early age (a month or so.) I often find it easier to see the red in their wattles at that age, rather than in their combs.

Then for a few months, the males have big red combs & wattles and the females do not.
When the pullets are almost mature, their combs & wattles get big and red, but not as big as the comb & wattles on a mature rooster of the same breed.

When we talk about comb and wattles being "big" or "small," it is usually in comparison with others of the same age and breed. So a comb that is "big" at 6 weeks will look "small" if you compare it to the same chicken at 6 months.

When they are mature, different breeds have very different comb & wattle sizes. Going from large to small, you might find: Leghorn hen, Barred Rock rooster, Barred Rock hen, Chantecler rooster. Notice that string has several hens bigger than roosters. (I left out Leghorn rooster having even larger ones, and Chantecler hen even smaller.) This also shows up as the chicks grow: a Leghorn pullet might easily have a bigger comb than a Chantecler cockerel.

Last edited:
Usually yes. Comb and wattles change in most of the same ways, both going from small & pale to big & red. (Exception: chickens with a beard will have small wattles that are hard to see.)

Young pullets usually have tiny combs & wattles.
Young cockerels start getting bigger, redder combs & wattles at a fairly early age (a month or so.) I often find it easier to see the red in their wattles at that age, rather than in their combs.

Then for a few months, the males have big red combs & wattles and the females do not.
When the pullets are almost mature, their combs & wattles get big and red, but not as big as the comb & wattles on a mature rooster of the same breed.

When we talk about comb and wattles being "big" or "small," it is usually in comparison with others of the same age and breed. So a comb that is "big" at 6 weeks will look "small" if you compare it to the same chicken at 6 months.

When they are mature, different breeds have very different comb & wattle sizes. Going from large to small, you might find: Leghorn hen, Barred Rock rooster, Barred Rock hen, Chantecler rooster. Notice that string has several hens bigger than roosters. (I left out Leghorn rooster having even larger ones, and Chantecler hen even smaller.) This also shows up as the chicks grow: a Leghorn pullet might easily have a bigger comb than a Chantecler cockerel.
This was so informative, thank you. This place feels like a wealth of knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom