1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a Mean Roo mating too much or something more serious?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buzymom13, Mar 29, 2011.

1. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I've read thru this website and can't seem to decide.

We dusted for mites with sevin dust a couple times about a month ago. We completely cleaned the coop/run out and dusted everything and everyone. Everyone seemed to be doing ok afterwards. We had a PR who laid daily all of a sudden one morning was found in the run dead. No obvious wounds except she looked like she had her vent insides hanging outside. So I thought maybe prolapse?

But now I have a white leghorn who has been looking a little skinny to me and she was fine yesterday. Today she's laying on her side, moving in slow motion and not eating or drinking. I took pics of my birds to see if this is

1. A molt going on...they are about 18 months old (most have been laying daily throughout the winter)

2. A rough roo who I've noticed likes a couple of the hens in particular.

3. Something more in depth that I'm missing?

I have a couple hens who look completely fine. A BR and a BA (same age as the rest) don't have feather loss. But the BR looked raggedy over the winter and quit laying for a month or so and then started laying again and looks fine now.

Here's the pics:This one is the worst...but is the favorite of the roo.
    [​IMG]

This is my leghorn who is acting "slow motion" all of a sudden...

[​IMG]

This one just started losing feathers

[​IMG]

Anyone have any advice? Thankx this is the first we're having any issues. It's been a long winter and I realize the girls' will look a little raggedy during a molt but I'm worried I have something else going on.

[​IMG]

This is my roos back...it's like he lost feathers but fluffy ones are coming in?
    [​IMG]

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    1st and 2nd chicken photos look like too much roo loving, 3rd and 4th pick look like they are going through a molt [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    With the rooster also losing and getting feathers I would say a molt but the might be causing problems too. I would get saddles for the girls to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by