is this a meat bird?

JoyBelle

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
I'm am relatively new to chickens and have a lot to learn.

When I first bought these from Tractor Supply, the sign said "Rocks." The guy said he threw in some variety, (wish I could remember what he called them) and some bantams. Can you help me id what I have. If I need to send a pic, let me know.

1. These are white with black necklace type feathering across the shoulders. They have feathers down the leg and onto the feet. These were wee peeps back at the end of April and now they are bigger than my old large red rooster.
I'm beginning to wonder if these are my Rocks (meat birds)

2. The other one I am very curious about looks like it stuck a foot in a light socket. It's got curly (white, silky) feathers all over and down its legs and onto its feet.

I'm not sure which are the bantams. I'm assuming the large white with black necklace are not bantams.

Thanks for your help.
smile.png

Blessings!

Yes bantams are small, 1/2 to 1/3 the size of regular chicken. Your typical meat birds are big and get big quick and usually have plain feather colors. The one that you say has silkie feathers, could be a "Silkie". If you post some pics, you'll get your answers from the BYC people.

ya it would help to have pics but ur white with black necklace color sounds like Columbian large fowl cochin but wont really know untill see pics
tongue.png
but if they r UR LUCKY!!! lol i raise black large fowl cochins been trying to find someone local with different colors lol

Until you have 10 posts, you cannot post pictures. Go greet a few peope then you are there.

How to post pictures/avatar
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26838

Rocks could mean Cornish Rocks, which are a broiler breed. They normally need to be harvested by the time they are about 8 weeks old or they start getting medical problems and have a hiogh mortality rate. These are usually pure white and should have clean legs (no feathers)

Rocks could mean a breed sometimes called Plymouth Rocks. These come in various colors and should have bright yellow legs with no feathers on the legs.

1. These are white with black necklace type feathering across the shoulders. They have feathers down the leg and onto the feet. These were wee peeps back at the end of April and now they are bigger than my old large red rooster.
I'm beginning to wonder if these are my Rocks (meat birds)

Sounds like these might be Light Brahma's. Skim down through this for a picture.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Brahma/BRKBrahma.html

2. The other one I am very curious about looks like it stuck a foot in a light socket. It's got curly (white, silky) feathers all over and down its legs and onto its feet.

A Frizzle or a Silkie? These could be bantams.

They don't sound like meat bird. I'll go witht the light brahma and silkie or frizzle (do hatcheries offer frizzles?) until pics are posted.

Thanks for your ideas. I looked at the pics, Brahmas, light and not, also looked up the Columbian large fowl cochin. They all have similarities. The Brahmas have a necklace all the way around the neck, mine don't, also my babies were yellow (for several weeks) with no other markings. I think you are right about the frizzle. Is it a bantam?
I think I might be able to get pics today.
smile.png
off to welcome some folks...
wink.png
so I can post pics.

Blessings, JoyBelle

sussex also have a black ring of feathers and are white...i read that they where intended as a dual purpose meat bird.. but all chickens taste like chickens!
wink.png

Quote:
The white with a black "necklace" could be Light Brahmas. They are a lot bigger than my other standard breeds. Pics will be great!

Back
Top Bottom