Is this a mite or lice? A few PICS.

Lee-Anna

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
There was a water spill in the coop yesterday and I was moving away the dry bedding so I could remove the wet bedding. As I was moving away the wet shavings I saw several of these little bugs. They look much larger than the red mite pictures I've seen. And they aren't really red, but more brown football shaped. I've looked the chickens over their vents and feathers look to be in great shape. They may just be normal little critters but if not I'm hoping somebody can tell me what they are. They are small but pretty visible. They didn't seem to be hiding in any cracks but just in the bedding. In the first photo it's on my finger, the next two it's
actually stuck on it's back. And the last one is the best picture I could get of it crawling. Any ideas?

There was a water spill in the coop yesterday and I was moving away the dry bedding so I could remove the wet bedding. As I was moving away the wet shavings I saw several of these little bugs. They look much larger than the red mite pictures I've seen. And they aren't really red, but more brown football shaped. I've looked the chickens over their vents and feathers look to be in great shape. They may just be normal little critters but if not I'm hoping somebody can tell me what they are. They are small but pretty visible. They didn't seem to be hiding in any cracks but just in the bedding. In the first photo it's on my finger, the next two it's
actually stuck on it's back. And the last one is the best picture I could get of it crawling. Any ideas?

Those look like some kind of beetle like maybe a Darkling Beetle with a gland problem that keeps it from growing.

Fowl Lice are insects and like all insects lice have 6 legs while all mites are spiders and like all arachnids mites have 8 legs. Hope this helps someone

Back
Top Bottom