Is this a Muscovy?

Nga

Chirping
Oct 10, 2021
she’s very broody and flies, she’s a lot smaller than the male Muscovy so I thought she might be a mix? Though some of her eggs developed,
0E09A7FD-B950-4A6E-98CE-B4BE17C80933.jpeg
09E2E10E-F81C-496D-A75A-CB0ABC0027E8.jpeg
most stopped developing early on, I heard that anything mix with Muscovy are sterile.. Which breed has the caruncles only the Muscovy breed right? Can Muscovy cross have it?

I have Muscovy crosses. They were born the middle of May and have no caruncles and no signs of any. They have Mallard looking heads still so far and beautiful gray outlined with black backs, Mallard looking chests but are still changing in colors. I am not sure what they will end up looking like. They are good sized compared to the Mallard/Rouen Drake and they had a Muscovy Hen. They were lilac for a while and it has been fun watching them changing colors and wondering how they will end up. I wish I had the technology to show them on here because they are really pretty.

Looks like a muscovy to me. I have a muscovy cross that looks kind of like her but I have seen muscovy hens that are much smaller than the drakes. And I have heard that muscovy hen crosses don't lay eggs, mine doesn't.

Looks like a muscovy to me. I have a muscovy cross that looks kind of like her but I have seen muscovy hens that are much smaller than the drakes. And I have heard that muscovy hen crosses don't lay eggs, mine doesn't.
So your cross has the caruncles on it??? I had read that they will not get them. Mine was a Rouen/wild Mallard Drake and a full Muscovy Hen cross. The eggs were hatched out in an incubator except for one which Momma duck left the nest after hatching out her own Mallard eggs and there were Muscovy eggs left so I candled them and saw the head in the air sac. I then put it in a home made incubator as I had none at that time and hatched it out myself. I had to assist which was nerve wracking but it is big and doing great so the decisions I made were the right ones.

I had read onetime on this site where someone had a cross that did lay eggs but they were unfertile so I was under the impression that they still could?

So your cross has the caruncles on it??? I had read that they will not get them. Mine was a Rouen/wild Mallard Drake and a full Muscovy Hen cross. The eggs were hatched out in an incubator except for one which Momma duck left the nest after hatching out her own Mallard eggs and there were Muscovy eggs left so I candled them and saw the head in the air sac. I then put it in a home made incubator as I had none at that time and hatched it out myself. I had to assist which was nerve wracking but it is big and doing great so the decisions I made were the right ones.
Mine does have the caruncles on her face. She is a Crested/Muscovy cross. IMG_0038 (9).JPG

Mine does have the caruncles on her face. She is a Crested/Muscovy cross. View attachment 3176077
Thanks for letting me know and for the beautiful picture of her. Maybe that will help me identify mine from drakes and hens. I was hoping to get some eggs to eat and didn't want any babies and that is why I wasn't sure if they would breed but evidently they surely did. I appreciate your response.

Back
Top Bottom