Is this a normal "molt"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flakey chick, Nov 30, 2008.

1. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    My BR girl was slow to feather, but has been shedding a good number of feathers lately. She is only 22 weeks. She doesn't seem to be bare anywhere and she is clearly still the top of the pecking order. I had a neighbor check on my birds while I was out of town for Thanksgiving. This is what three days worth of molting looks like. Is this ok?

[​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/307017

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I wish I knew the answer to what a "normal" molt looked like. All of my girls have molted differently, despite what the books say. I can tell you for certain that suddenly, the coop will be full of feathers. An alarming amount of feathers!

Also of note, I had not expected the pullets from this spring's hatch to molt this fall. But they are molting. Some look perfectly pitiful, some just have a blood feather or 2 sticking out on their necks or faces, some I don't see any signs of molting yet.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the feathers in the coop. She is probably molting. Also, you probably won't see the blood feathers for a while. Seems that they drop their feathers well before they visibly start replacing them.

All this is in my very limited experience. This has been my first ever molt.

3. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I don't think they have a "real"molt until after their first year. My 19 week old girls have dropped feathers everywhere. I think the first year is just different because they are still growing and replacing feathers. I'm just guessing this is normal, but I would like to see what some experienced BYC'ers have to say!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by