Is this a problem? (Bald hen)

Ashllen

Chirping
Jan 6, 2023
North West Washington
Just noticed one of my hens has a bald spot on the back of her head. I just rescued a rooster about a month ago. He is pretty chill older rooster, but I figure he is still figuring things out with the flock. At first he didn't even really mate with the hens, but now he feels more secure. I've noticed him doing so a few times. But what is concerning is one of my hens is missing a chunk of feathers from the back of her head. (Probably from him doing the dirty with her) question is... is it something I need to worry about? What should I do?

No you don't need to worry about it, it tends to worry people more than it worries birds. Some may get bared backs too.

If you really don't like it, the only thing you can do is get a different rooster and let this one go. But if he is working out everywhere else, I would wait to see how it goes in the long run.

MRs K

Cool cool. I figure it, at worse, was a pecking order thing, which I like to let them sort out on their own. But he's the first rooster I've owned to live this long, I lived in a place with high density predators, so the first 2 times I had a rooster, they didn't last long (crowing every morning just let the animals know where they lived.) They both died defending the flock, but I refused to get a third until I moved somewhere safer. Now even tho I've had free range chickens for almost 4 yrs now I'm finding myself unsure of what's what now lol.

Yeah, I've noticed the younger hens seem to be excepting him better, this hen is mid tier in the totem pole. (About 3rd or 4th from top hen) and it doesn't help I lost a hen recently and another is in quarantine at the moment. So their world order is a bit our of whack on top of a new rooster.

Another question about rooster behavior.... is it normal for him to chase hens away from treats? I was told he is an older rooster and I haven't noticed him ever presenting the girls with good finds, he once tried to present them with a rock. :hmm
My salmon faverolle is most likely the bottom tier hen, doesn't help she would rather have me be her rooster then him... but when I gave them meal worms and they were all trying to get some he ran her off.. twice. He didn't do this to any of my other hens, is this normal? Or is he trying to kick her out of my flock?

Back
Top Bottom