IS THIS A PROLAPSED VENT?

UPDATE:

I finally took her to the vet because she had trouble walking.

This was due to the pain.

She has a prolapse. BUT! there is no egg - which is weird because I saw her trying to lay an egg, but the vet says that she feels like she wants to lay an egg because she is super inflamed in that area.

He doesn't know exactly why, but he compared it to humans having random hemorrhoids. Or maybe she HAD an egg but passed it and is still inflamed. He checked for parasites just in case - negative. (Apparently some intestinal parasites can cause this?)

Treatment:
- He gave her a shot with an anti-inflammatory drug that is also a pain killer. He didn't tell me which one but the hen started walking better after that.
- An antibiotic and anti-inflammatory cream to apply both externally and internally (using a special syringe) for a few days.

We'll see what happens!

UPDATE:

I finally took her to the vet because she had trouble walking.

This was due to the pain.

She has a prolapse. BUT! there is no egg - which is weird because I saw her trying to lay an egg, but the vet says that she feels like she wants to lay an egg because she is super inflamed in that area.

He doesn't know exactly why, but he compared it to humans having random hemorrhoids. Or maybe she HAD an egg but passed it and is still inflamed.

Treatment:
- He gave her a shot with an anti-inflammatory drug that is also a pain killer. He didn't tell me which one but the hen started walking better after that.
- An antibiotic and anti-inflammatory cream to apply both externally and internally (using a special syringe) for a few days.

We'll see what happens!
Thanks for the update!
Hopefully she gets better!

Glad you were able to see the vet.

Did he perform an XRay to see if she had laid internally or had a blockage somewhere?

Hopefully she will improve with the medications, keep us posted.

No, he doesn't have an X-Ray machine, I'd have to travel to another town to find one. He used his finger to check the hen's vent. And he thinks it is unlikely that she has an egg because she wasn't laying much anyway. Apart from her alleged ovarian defect, she had a severe respiratory disease in June -probably pneumonia- and her egg production has dropped since then.

So far, she has improved partially. Her vent is still inflamed and she is still having contractions. But I can't see the "strawberry" in her butt anymore - hopefully, this means that her inner tissues are going back to where they belong. And most importantly, she is feeling better. She never stopped eating but now she is even more interested in food, and overall I'd say she is more active.

This is the composition of the cream I'm using:

- Gentamicin (antibiotic)
- Chlorhexidine Gluconate (antiseptic)
- Dexamethasone (anti-inflammatory)
- Benzocaine (local anesthetic / pain reliever)
- Clotrimazole (antifungal)

PLEASE HELP.

The hen's vent looks fine but below it she developed a hole with necrotic tissue and white worms. What can I do? My God this is terrible

She has flystrike.
Could you get a picture real quick?
How is she acting?

She is acting normal. If I didn't have to put the cream on the vent I would have never noticed.

Here is how it looked, I HAVE MANUALLY REMOVED the worms now, and, using a syringe, I cleaned the wound with povidone-iodine and water.

But it's still a terrible wound and I can't see the vet until next week.

SUPER NSFW PIC / don't look while eating

Attachments

• 20221112_141816.jpg
    20221112_141816.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 9
She is acting normal. If I didn't have to put the cream on the vent I would have never noticed.

Here is how it looked, I HAVE MANUALLY REMOVED the worms now, and, using a syringe, I cleaned the wound with povidone-iodine and water.

But it's still a terrible wound and I can't see the vet until next week.

SUPER NSFW PIC / don't look while eating
You might want to trim the feathers around the wound.
Keep picking out the maggots and cleaning the wound.

PLEASE HELP.

The hen's vent looks fine but below it she developed a hole with necrotic tissue and white worms. What can I do? My God this is terrible
Oh, I'm sorry!

I agree with @Tookie it's flystrike.

Good job getting the maggots out, you may need to rinse again later today and pick out more, maybe tomorrow too. The Povidone Iodine is fine to use for the flushing.

Trim feathers away from the wound if they are getting in the way. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.

Back
Top Bottom