Is this a pure ameraucana?

Goldendoodles

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
A few months ago my neighbor offered me a little chick, that she said was an ameraucana. How could I ever say no.
wink.png
She has grown into a beautiful little pullet and has an adorable muff and beard. From the pics I've looked at she looks pure to me, slate legs and all, but my neighbor has about a very mixed flock. Do you guys in all your infinite knowledge think she is a pure ameraucana.
big_smile.png

25208_amercauna1.jpg

25208_amercauna2.jpg

It may be an EE but it meets all the requirements as far as I can see to be a true Ameraucana as per the APA/ABA standard.

To be classified as an Ameraucana, a chicken only has to have all the breed specifications. Parentage does not qualify a chicken.

Your bird looks like it has all the correct characteristics, from what I can see. If so, she is a Blue Ameraucana, and can be shown as one, if you are interested in showing.

Have fun with her!
jumpy.gif

---------------
On closer inspection:
Her eye color isn't red brown (the normal color), but I think that's just a demerit--not a disqualification.
Her legs might actually be willow (greenish gray). Look on the underside of her feet. If you see any yellow, they are willow & she would be disqualified.
Her beak looks like it has black rather than horn coloring, but I'm guessing it would pass in most shows.
Best wishes!

Last edited:
thanks for all the comments. I haven't seen all of my neighbors birds, but I think she has many purebreds they just all run together. I am looking forward to a colored egg in a few more months.
fl.gif
In the spring I plan to get either ameraucanas or EEs, probably from another BYCer
big_smile.png
I will check the feet thing tomorrow.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Actually, SpeckledHills is close but not quite right. There is more to being an Ameraucana than just how a bird looks. One may be able to fool a judge but that don't make it right. For example, I know personally of two specific examples where two obvious Easter Eggers were awarded BB at two different shows. That don't make the Ameraucanas. It just means that the judge was not very familiar with the breed.

With regard to your question, the answer depends on what you mean by "a mixed flock". If they have a male and female Ameraucana and that bird came from a direct mating of those two birds, then it's a Blue Ameraucana. If either parent was not an Ameraucana then it is an Easter Egger and thus will not reproduce itself nor will it lay a Blue egg - both of which are required to be an Ameraucana.

God Bless,

I was going to say wait for the egg... Should be blue. Could be on the greenish side if the genetics aren't wonderful for egg color though. If that would happen, you wouldn't really know if she is a true Ameraucana or not since EE's can lay any color egg. Hmm - I guess that would mean that if she lays a blue egg, she isn't necessarily a true Ameraucana either
barnie.gif
he.gif
th.gif
Does it matter to you? No matter how you look at it, she is a gorgeous girl, who looks to be an Ameraucana
thumbsup.gif

She sure looks like an Ameraucana, and just because the neighbor has several breeds running together, doesn't mean she isn't pure. I have a mixed layer flock with a salmon faverolles rooster. The eggs from the salmon fav hen in that group are pure, regardless of what other female birds are in the group. Now, having said that, go take a look at her roosters and make sure at least one of them conforms to Ameraucana standards too, if not, then all bets are off.

I agree to wait for the egg, and if it's blue or even a blue-green (as the previous poster said, not all pure Ameraucanas lay a completely blue egg) I'd wager an awful lot to say that she's pure. Show and breed away, she's beautiful!
thumbsup.gif

I have a mixed flock as well- almost every color in the rainbow. When my Ameracauna are big enough to join the group, I will only have an Ameracauna roo with them. They will be the only ones to lay blue eggs- easy to pick out what I want to hatch.

She has such a pretty color! Nice find
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom