Is this a rat snake hanging around my chickens??

Northwest Florida in the Panhandle. I’ve tried looking at the lists but so many look the same to me it’s sorta confusing.
That's a pretty big snake...hope someone can ID it for you.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1591402564650.png

That looks like an eastern milk snake. Hard to say for sure. Definitely a non-venomous member of the colubrid family(corn snakes, garder snakes, rat snakes, milksnakes, king snakes etc). Relatively harmless and beneficial for your property. Unlikely to take birds in a group while ranging.

That’s a Texas Rat Snake. They love to eat chicken eggs! Put a golf ball in each of your nest boxes. If they disappear, you’ll know he’s getting into your coop to steal eggs.
I agree. We have them here too. They haven't bothered my birds but could take a chick. In one coop I had one wrapped around a milk crate I was using as a nest box. I got it out and haven't seen it since.
IMG_20171103_185107.jpg

This one was hanging around my chick coop. Now missing it's head.
Snake1.jpg

I put king snakes in the storage sheds but anything else gets removed. Copperheads and cottonmouths get buried. Rattlesnakes get put in cooking grease.

Just killed a 5 foot rat snake in my shop. Now if he was outside I might have just shooed it off but it removed all rights when it gets in my shop. I don't plan on being under a car changing the oil and rolling over looking at one eye to eye. Now I gotta figure out how the bloody thing got in.

Back
Top Bottom