Is this a RIR rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kush3120, May 20, 2012.

1. kush3120

kush3120 Hatching

May 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am new to the chicken raising and not sure if this 5 month old RIR is a hen or a rooster. The only reason I think it is a rooster is one morning I heard some attempted crowing in the morning. I have not hear anything since and it has been about 4 days. the other reason is the larger comb, but as I looked through some pics of RIR some hens have this look. I feel that at 5 months it should be obvious but I don't know what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated
    [​IMG]

2. texas75563

texas75563 Songster

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    I would say hen.

3. Here's my guess---it will grow into a charming hen. I'm no RIR expert, but I can give you a bump.

Congratulations on getting chickens and WELCOME to the forum!!

4. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    looks like a 5 month old hen to me

5. kush3120

kush3120 Hatching

May 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the help. I was getting a little nervous since I live in the city and my neighbors would not appreciate a crowing rooster at 6am.

So far is has been a fun adventure

6. Yea for chickens..... and BTW Welcome to the BYC forum!!!

7. de kippendame

de kippendame In the Brooder

May 26, 2011
    South Central IA
    I would have to agree, I think you have a beautiful hen! In my experience, my RIRs combs are taller than any of my other hen's combs. And my RIR rooster looked very much like a rooster at 5 months! I would expect you'll be seeing eggs soon!!

8. jinnjinn123

jinnjinn123 Chirping

Apr 19, 2013
    deffidently hen. roosters are more prominant and taller and proud looking like they are king of the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: