Is this a rooster or a hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Emily 124, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Emily 124

Emily 124 Hatching

Aug 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

It's about 10 weeks old. I think it's a Cochin, I'm almost sure it's a rooster, but I don't really know enough about chickens to know for sure. The other rooster I have is and Mille Fleur the same age as this one and it has been crowing for a while now. This one has never crowed before, it also kind of acts like all the hens I have . A few weeks back this one and the Mille Fleur had fought a bit I think, both of their faces were messed up a bit and I saw them pecking each other. It only happened for a day or two though, they haven't fought any since, they seem to get a long now. I just thought they were fighting because they were both rooster and they wanted to determine who was the boss.
    I think is a rooster but I'm not sure.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'll set your mind at ease....that's 100% male [​IMG].

10 weeks is just a baby yet. But that much comb and redness at this young age mean male all the way.

3. CrazyChickns

CrazyChickns In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Southeastern PA
    The average age for roosters to start crowing is 4 to 6 months although it is not that uncommon for some to start crowing at just a couple weeks old.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: