Is this a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylenemackey, Oct 19, 2010.

1. mylenemackey

mylenemackey New Egg

Oct 19, 2010
    Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and would like help identifying whether or not my 14 week old cream brabanter is a rooster or a pullet. It was sold to me newly hatched as a female, but in the last 2 weeks we are getting a caw-caw-caaaaw in the morning. He/she is the only one that does it, fluffs up its feathers and opens up the beak wide. Other than that, I see only bumps where spurs would be, it sleeps in the middle of the roost with the other (mixed breed) birds, and is not particularly aggressive. Actually, it is pretty friendly with me. Also it has arching tail feathers but I am unsure if that is the breed or a sign of being a roo. I happen to adore this unique looking bird and would rather not adopt him out as I cannot keep him in the city. And feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    post in the index "What breed /sex is this, and maybe bigger pictures? It is kind of hard to see. I am thinking roo.mk

3. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Dude, it crows.

Add that to the many other reasons it's a boy. Sorry. [​IMG]

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Absolutely no doubt about it - pointy saddle feathers, roo tail, pointy hairdo, and it crows? It's a roo.

6. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Not able to tell you if it is, but [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Clicked on the pictures to enlarge. Yes, you have a cockerel.

8. mylenemackey

mylenemackey New Egg

Oct 19, 2010
    Thank you all! I really was in denial about this roo. He's just too fabulous to give up. The crowing threw me off a little because I have heard dominant chickens can take on crowing in the am.
    I appreciate all your answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by