Is this a rooster?

becpdx

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Hi, we're new to raising chickens, and are only allowed 3 hens in our city. We bought chicks in Sept, all different breeds, and unfortunately I think our ameraucauna is a rooster. He has not crowed yet, but has the long pointy neck feathers and had gotten a couple of longer tail feathers. I've attached pictures. What do you think? I'd hate to give this one up unless we're certain it's a rooster, because its so pretty. Thanks.
[/IMG]

Thank you for the response. Anyone near portland, OR want a pretty ameraucauna rooster, 4 1/2 months old, so far not at all aggressive, raised since a chick so tolerates being handled, even by our 3 year old, although not the easiest for her to "catch."

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear you have to give him up. That's the problem when you raise chicks, some turn out to be boys and in my case it's my favourite ones and I can't keep them all! Once you've got 20 or more posts under your belt you can place an ad in the BST section, see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

If you are giving him away look for the "Animals in need of rehoming" section. Hope you find him a good home!

Yep that's a roo. You can also try craigslist. When I have to find an emergency home for one of my birds, craigslist seems to be the fastest option. You could also try the "Where am I? Where are you?" section of the forum.

Back
Top Bottom