Is this a Roundhead? If so, what kind?

Roundheads are 100% peacomb. If someone has straight comb Roundheads they don't have pure Roundheads. Think what you want but I wouldn't invest in them. The aseel like body. Roundheads are high breaking, fast fowl the exact opposite of a slow cumbersome aseel type body. History is just that. The Roundheads of today have no oriental characteristics other than the peacomb
There’s no such thing as a pure round head 150-200 years after the fact (my assertion of course).

Regardless, all of the literature I’m looking at right now indicates many roundhead families can come straight combed, which would be expected where after the oriental crossing they’ve been bred back to straight combed Americans several times. Much of the literature indicates most roundhead families were straight combed.

Last edited:
One more point, the reason they were called roundheads was because of the oriental traits apparent in their faces.

Now whether or not birds purported to be roundheads still show oriental traits goes back to my point about whether pure “roundheads” or any other American gamefowl still exist now as they did 150 years ago. I would submit that many of the oriental traits bred into roundheads back then are now standard traits across many, most, or all American gamefowl lines and therefore we often don’t think about those traits (primarily station and musculature) as being oriental in origins, when if fact they are.

Back
Top Bottom