Is this a Roundhead? If so, what kind?

clary7

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2023
I have a rooster that I can’t figure out the breed of. Everyone keeps giving me the most random breeds until one person said roundhead, and I think they might be right. If this rooster is a round head, what kind specifically? He is still young and I can tell his tail feathers aren’t all grown in yet. And how much is he worth? I am trying to sell him because he is mean. He is the weirdest rooster I’ve ever had. He lets me handle him and pick him up but then jumps on me from the back. I’ve never had a mean rooster before and he is both the tamest and meanest rooster I’ve ever had. Anyways, let me know if anyone knows what kind he is exactly. It would be nice to sell him rather than have my dad butcher him.

Attachments

• 911641DB-C957-4B1D-A3AA-5EEECDBFD1DC.jpeg
    911641DB-C957-4B1D-A3AA-5EEECDBFD1DC.jpeg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 6E01DF4D-BBD0-4D51-9D76-BC4CCC85B80F.jpeg
    6E01DF4D-BBD0-4D51-9D76-BC4CCC85B80F.jpeg
    907.6 KB · Views: 5
  • C4DC4661-8F49-4226-A211-0A2E54944977.jpeg
    C4DC4661-8F49-4226-A211-0A2E54944977.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 493CEE4D-849F-4410-B7C0-BF0711A2EF7C.jpeg
    493CEE4D-849F-4410-B7C0-BF0711A2EF7C.jpeg
    997.8 KB · Views: 6
Roundhead is a strain of American game fowl. He looks like an American game fowl crossed with something else to me, not pure. His build isn't quite right for that. Too chunky and low to the ground. The fact that he is human aggressive lowers his value even more. If you decide to sell, make sure you let potential buyers know that he is human aggressive. You wouldn't want a hurt child on your conscience.

Welcome to BYC.

I am trying to sell him because he is mean.

I'm sorry to be so vehement, but if you are going to sell an aggressive rooster be 100% sure that any potential buyer knows ABSOLUTELY what he is getting into.

I personally would never sell an aggressive rooster because anyone who is willing to pay money is almost certainly going to keep him instead of eat him -- which would put me in the position of having blood on my hands if a bird I should have culled ended up hurting someone, especially a child or someone new to chickens .

*IF,* for some reason, I was unable to cull him personally I would give him away advertised as "Free chicken dinner. AGGRESSIVE rooster known to attack people."

And then I would make sure that my potential recipient was up to handling him and didn't have any small children or was otherwise vulnerable. (I have a broody hen who bites to draw blood in defense of her nest and withdrew her from sale when the potential buyers had small children who would be involved in chicken care).

Roundheads are 100% peacomb. If someone has straight comb Roundheads they don't have pure Roundheads. Think what you want but I wouldn't invest in them. The aseel like body. Roundheads are high breaking, fast fowl the exact opposite of a slow cumbersome aseel type body. History is just that. The Roundheads of today have no oriental characteristics other than the peacomb
There’s no such thing as a pure round head 150-200 years after the fact (my assertion of course).

Regardless, all of the literature I’m looking at right now indicates many roundhead families can come straight combed, which would be expected where after the oriental crossing they’ve been bred back to straight combed Americans several times. Much of the literature indicates most roundhead families were straight combed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom