Is this a Roundhead? If so, what kind?

Welcome to BYC.

I am trying to sell him because he is mean.

I'm sorry to be so vehement, but if you are going to sell an aggressive rooster be 100% sure that any potential buyer knows ABSOLUTELY what he is getting into.

I personally would never sell an aggressive rooster because anyone who is willing to pay money is almost certainly going to keep him instead of eat him -- which would put me in the position of having blood on my hands if a bird I should have culled ended up hurting someone, especially a child or someone new to chickens .

*IF,* for some reason, I was unable to cull him personally I would give him away advertised as "Free chicken dinner. AGGRESSIVE rooster known to attack people."

And then I would make sure that my potential recipient was up to handling him and didn't have any small children or was otherwise vulnerable. (I have a broody hen who bites to draw blood in defense of her nest and withdrew her from sale when the potential buyers had small children who would be involved in chicken care).

Florida. I got him from my neighbor who got him from her daughter who I believe got him from a hatchery. My dad is doing to butcher him unless I can sell him. I’d rather sell him in this case. He’s not insanely aggressive or anything, he’s just the only rooster that’s ever had an attitude with me. He is actually very tame. Lets me pick him up too. Im just trying to give him a chance at life before my dad ends it.

Florida. I got him from my neighbor who got him from her daughter who I believe got him from a hatchery. My dad is doing to butcher him unless I can sell him. I’d rather sell him in this case. He’s not insanely aggressive or anything, he’s just the only rooster that’s ever had an attitude with me. He is actually very tame. Lets me pick him up too. Im just trying to give him a chance at life before my dad ends it.
It might be easier to give him away for free than to sell him. It’s possible that he’s a hatchery quality chantecler or a chantecler mix.

It might be easier to give him away for free than to sell him. It’s possible that he’s a hatchery quality chantecler or a chantecler mix.
Aah yes maybe a chantecler. I didn’t know about that breed and no ones suggested it yet except here but I searched up photos and he looks more like one of those than a roundhead. I also did some more digging on roundhead and they seem to be pretty small in size but this guy is huge. So now I doubt he could be game fowl. But thanks for the input everyone! It was good to get more opinions.

Not a roundhead
This is a roundhead

20200209_141235.jpg
400-15.jpeg.jpg

Everything is wrong. Your source has no clue
Have a good day

He doesn’t look like a roundhead to me either.

Roundheads are American gamefowl that in the 1800s had oriental gamefowl bred into them, giving them the possibility of having pea combs, an aseel-like body, and a more round head than standard American gamefowl. They’ll be a very athletic and trim looking bird.
Roundheads are 100% peacomb. If someone has straight comb Roundheads they don't have pure Roundheads. Think what you want but I wouldn't invest in them. The aseel like body. Roundheads are high breaking, fast fowl the exact opposite of a slow cumbersome aseel type body. History is just that. The Roundheads of today have no oriental characteristics other than the peacomb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom