Is this a Royal Palm?

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Our first turkey given to us by our neighbors who said they got it at Tractor Supply. I assumed it was a BB White, which broke my heart because we'd like it to be a pet.

It is getting more and more black on it and staying small, do you think it could be a royal palm, or a mix of some sort? Bonus points if you can tell me gender. 10 weeks old in this picture.

Attachments

• 20200612_135306.jpg
    20200612_135306.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 35
Our first turkey given to us by our neighbors who said they got it at Tractor Supply. I assumed it was a BB White, which broke my heart because we'd like it to be a pet.

It is getting more and more black on it and staying small, do you think it could be a royal palm, or a mix of some sort? Bonus points if you can tell me gender. 10 weeks old in this picture.
It may be a a Royal Palm as long as it stays black and white. It is too young to sex from pictures.

Last edited:
So is it true that only males "gobble"? This one has been making that sound. I'm just glad it doesnt appear to be a BB White.

So is it true that only males "gobble"? This one has been making that sound. I'm just glad it doesnt appear to be a BB White.
There are posted recordings of wild turkey hens gobbling. Take them for what they are worth.

I have never had a hen turkey gobble. I have also never had a ten week old poult gobble, but I have mature toms around which will suppress the desire of a young tom getting caught gobbling.

If that is the only turkey that you have, I recommend that you get it another turkey for a friend. Turkeys are very social and do best with others of their own kind.

If that is the only turkey that you have, I recommend that you get it another turkey for a friend. Turkeys are very social and do best with others of their own kind.

Only turkey, raised with chicks. I'm keeping my eye out for another. Does it need to be same age or anything?

Only turkey, raised with chicks. I'm keeping my eye out for another. Does it need to be same age or anything?
It does not have to be the same age although a much younger poult would take time to mature before being able to be with it.

If it is a tom, you will probably need to separate it from the chickens once it becomes breeding age and starts flattening chickens from attempted breedings.

Back
Top Bottom