Is this a shell-less egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiffinimarie, Aug 13, 2010.

1. tiffinimarie

tiffinimarie In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    My 22 week old ISA "Ken" (barbie had to have a ken!) laid her first egg tonight. It is really soft and squishy and the whites are running out of the top where there is nothing around it. Is this what they mean by shell-less? Also, will her next eggs be the same, or should they get better? They have been on layer feed for about a week now.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. gaillardia

gaillardia Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    That looks like it has some small bit of calcium on it. My first balloon egg was completely transparent. I gave her oyster shell and her shells firmed up right away. Now I am just crushing egg shells and putting them near the food. I bet she lays a hard shelled egg soon.

3. Whimsy

Whimsy Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    Mine just started this week also, the first three days I had a combination of soft shell, no shell and laid while on the highest roost!!! Yesterday I had my first honest to goodness egg(very small) and this morning two more!!!

Make sure that they have oyster shell, I give mine sour cream or yogurt with oats mixed it once a week. It is a favorite treat for all of them, they will end up with it all over their feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: