Is this a shrink wrapped chick?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tsid78, Apr 14, 2016.

1. tsid78

tsid78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Hi there,
    This is my second year hatching eggs in my classroom. Last year I had no problems but this year I think I had 3 shrink wrapped chicks. I did everything the same as last year and used all the same equipment but obviously something went wrong. I think I managed to save all 3 after I noticed there was no progression after pipping for almost 24 hours. I know it's hard to tell from the picture but can anyone tell me if this looks shrink wrapped?? I really want to try to trouble shoot. You can see the little guys beak popped out but he's stuck. The only thing a the inner membrane wiped away quite easily with water on my fingers.[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggesting posting your question in the "Incubating and hatching eggs" forum. Alas, i only use a broody momma to hatch, so i cannot help you, sorry.

Best of luck
    CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Sorry to hear your having your having trouble with this hatch. Your outer membrane looks ok, nice and white. Is the inner membrane stopping the chick from hatching? Please check out this link for assisted hatching ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
    Lots of great information in there for you.

Did you check your hygrometer is giving you a correct reading? It may be slightly off so may not have been as high as you think it was.

Good luck, I hope they all hatch safely :fl

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful Learning Center [​IMG]

You might want to check out one of the incubation Trends as you can get a lot of help there [​IMG]

No you do not have a shrink wrapped chick there just a tired chick and this is caused mostly from getting eggs from hens that are under a year old in my experience and others might say something else but my experience tells me under aged hens do not give as healthy a chick as older ones do .

I have the same problem when I do not keep my hens separated and the eggs get mixed up but the only thing I can ask is where did you get the eggs from .

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]- hope they help

6. tsid78

tsid78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Thank you everyone! The inner membrane was wrapped very tightly around the chick. He couldn't move at all. However, I'm confused because he was very wet and the inner membrane was moist and wiped away somewhat easily with my finger dipped in warm water....

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by