Is this a sign of broodiness????

Farm Frenzy

Songster
12 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Oak Hill, Florida
I hope it is. My husband went to feed for me this morning, and he said that one of my black rock girls was laying in the nest and I went later tonight and she was still there. AND she tries to peck you if you touch her?

YAY!!! It's about freakin time.
wee.gif

My first broody EVER!!! It just so happens that I've been saving my silkie eggs and have about 10 so far. I'm hoping she's still on the nest tomorrow when I go out there...
fl.gif
. We'll see though. I thought for sure my silkie would be the one to go first, but no luck with that. I'm just glad one possibly has.

LOL... Ya out of my 3 pullet silkie/showgirls two of them went broody at the same time. So now one is setting on 7 silkie/showgirl eggs and the other is on about 12 button quail eggs. We'll see how it goes. Good luck on your eggs and hopefully your momma will be a good one.

Chef

Hi again!

You seem so happy, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Unfortunately, I can't have a roo in my neighborhood so I never have any fertile eggs (unless someone gives them to me or I buy some) but I always seem to have some broodies. Out of 7 Silkies, two are broody right now and I have a "Sizzle" that's broody plus 2 broody bantam Cochins.

The "Sizzle" is so into it that she pulled out all of her chest feathers. Now I'm worried that she might be too cold and I don't even want to try to break her broodiness because I don't want her walking around too much with her chest exposed, I figure she's better off in the nest.

With 5 broodies, it seems such a shame that I don't have any eggs!

Well, at least I hope it rubs off on your girls. I'm sure your Silkie will also go broody sooner or later (to me, they seem like a sure thing), so you'll have another chance, for sure.

Again, good luck!
smile.png
Genie

Ok, forgive me for being a "chicken virgin", but what exactly does broodiness mean?

and... how do the eggs get fertile?

A broody means that a hen is ready to sit on a nest and incubate eggs. It makes life a whole lot easier for me because I then can use the hen instead of an incubator....which I have 4 of by the way!!
duc.gif

Must be that time of year. I've got my first broodies too. One BO and one BA. Both have been on nests every night when I go collect and as soon as I open the nest lid, they growl and fluff. I'm making them a spot inside the barn so they are out of the coop nests. Guess I'll have to see if they stay broody after moving them. Fingers are crossed!

Back
Top Bottom