Is this a Silkie egg?

nadinarae

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 24, 2014
Hi guys! I have a group of hens, Easter eggers, Brahma, and black sexlink hens, with three 20 week old Silkie hens as well.. We are used to getting the exact same eggs daily, in the same spot, but today we found one outside in our run and it looks completely different from the rest…

Could this potentially be an early egg laying Silkie?! Minus the blue Easter eggers egg, but I’m wondering about the egg in the middle.
I don’t know why else the egg would change so much if it’s from one of our other hens..? Hoping it’s an early silkie layer!

Attachments

• 488F4E46-018A-4BDD-8C7B-9FE5970C16BE.jpeg
    488F4E46-018A-4BDD-8C7B-9FE5970C16BE.jpeg
    617.2 KB · Views: 19
Silkies usually lay a small egg that is considerably smaller than the breeds you listed and colored more whiteish, cream like color. Well atleast mine were. I've had black star sex links that layed eggs with those speckles though.

I would expect a silkie egg to be smaller, and to be more pale in color, than the egg in the middle. But chickens can have so many variations, I cannot be positive whether it's a silkie egg or not.

You can check the silkies to see if any are near point-of-lay. Pick up a few layers and look at their vents, then pick up the silkies and look at theirs. The layers should have a vent that looks like an egg could come out (large, moist, looks stretchy.) Non-layers have a vent that is smaller, and looks dry and puckered up. If you have a rooster, he's a great example of a non-layer. Pullets or hens that are not laying will have vents that look like his.

The vent appearance doesn't change the exact day they lay the first egg (I think it changes a bit in advance), but it's a reasonably good guide to whether a particular bird might be laying, or is definitely not laying.

More details:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Thank you so much for your responses. I had a feeling this would be the answer, I’m just confused now on why my hen would randomly lay an egg outside and have the egg look completely different from her normal!? Assuming it’s my black sexlink as its the closest looking to their eggs.

I’m just confused now on why my hen would randomly lay an egg outside and have the egg look completely different from her normal!? Assuming it’s my black sexlink as its the closest looking to their eggs.
Shade of brown and amount of speckling can vary a bit.

Sometimes a hen just does lay an egg somewhere else-- maybe she thought she had time to chase one more bug or something before heading to the nestbox, but she was wrong and didn't have time to get there.

Shade of brown and amount of speckling can vary a bit.

Sometimes a hen just does lay an egg somewhere else-- maybe she thought she had time to chase one more bug or something before heading to the nestbox, but she was wrong and didn't have time to get there.
Haha that very well could be the case, especially with this specific chicken!
Thank you for your response 😊

Back
Top Bottom