Is this a silkie? If so, a boy?

OrpieOwner

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
I bought two little silkies, one partridge and one white. I am wondering if my partridge one is a silkie, as he doesn't have the fluffy feet. Also, are they boys or girls?

I will try to get close ups tomorrow morning. They are 19 weeks old. You can't quite see them good right now.

I can't tell the gender from the photos, so closer ones would definitely help. You partridge one is probably a hatchery-quality Silkie or a Silkie mix. Hatcheries don't really care about the quality of their Silkies, more about the quantity and the general characteristics (fluffy feathers, cute puffy look, etc).

I can't tell the gender from the photos, so closer ones would definitely help. You partridge one is probably a hatchery-quality Silkie or a Silkie mix. Hatcheries don't really care about the quality of their Silkies, more about the quantity and the general characteristics (fluffy feathers, cute puffy look, etc).
I agree. Many hatchery birds lack characteristics like feathered legs, five toes, and a crest. They just aren't bred to be show-quality.

I bought them from a local silkie breeder who bred only her purebred silkies BantamLover21 and Wyandottes7. The partridge one was a runt from the start, which is why I bought him.

Your partridge Silkie is almost definitely a rooster, as his comb is rather developed for a Silkie of that age. As for your white Silkie, I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards rooster, as well. But I'd just keep them until they either crow, or lay an egg, as Silkies are always difficult to sex.

Do you know if my partridge one is a silkie, as it is missing some traits of a silkie. I will be keeping them no matter what, as they are my "fuzz balls".

Do you know if my partridge one is a silkie, as it is missing some traits of a silkie. I will be keeping them no matter what, as they are my "fuzz balls".
Your Partridge Silkie is a Silkie, but not a show-quality one. I know that you got them from a breeder, but a good breeder would not have Silkies like this. They'll make great pets, though.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom