Is this a Speckled Sussex? Hen or Roo?

the tail is wrong for any sort of Sussex (lots of photos of the different types, plus description of the standards here https://poultrykeeper.com/chicken-breeds/sussex-chickens/ ). But she's got pretty plumage and looks very happy and healthy. Please let us know what colour egg she lays when she does!
We can definitely rule out Sussex. Not sure what she is, but I'll update this in a few months when she starts laying!

The farm said this was a Speckled Sussex, but so far, it doesn't look like other Speckled Sussexes I've seen online.
She is definitely not any sort of Sussex. Your pullet looks more like a Silver Phoenix than anything.

Also, with those big tail feathers, could it possibly be a rooster?
No, she is a pullet. Cockerels grow tail feathers that are obviously pointed, not rounded in any way, like the feathers your pullet possesses. There are plenty of breeds in which then hens have long tail feathers (although not sickles, as only males can have those), like the Phoenix.

She is definitely not any sort of Sussex. Your pullet looks more like a Silver Phoenix than anything.

No, she is a pullet. Cockerels grow tail feathers that are obviously pointed, not rounded in any way, like the feathers your pullet possesses. There are plenty of breeds in which then hens have long tail feathers (although not sickles, as only males can have those), like the Phoenix.
Thanks for the insights! She does look like a silver Phoenix, except don't this have gray feet?

Thanks for the insights! She does look like a silver Phoenix, except don't this have gray feet?
As far as a Silver Phoenix, the color is more of a Silver Duckwing than a color of their own. Just like the Silver Duckwing, the hens have the brown chest, white and black hackles, grey back, wings, and saddle, and a black tail. On the rooster, they have the black chest, wingbar, and tail with the white hackles and saddle, just like the standard Silver Duckwing color. (In fact, I believe I've heard some people refer to the Silver Phoenix as a Silver Duckwing Phoenix.) As far as the tail, I have had some young EE mixes who did have a much longer tail. Your pullet might just have a longer tail and may grow into it as she grows. ;)

One of my current EEs:

IMG_0018 - Copy (2).JPG

Yes, Phoenix chickens do have slate legs.

As far as a Silver Phoenix, the color is more of a Silver Duckwing than a color of their own. Just like the Silver Duckwing, the hens have the brown chest, white and black hackles, grey back, wings, and saddle, and a black tail. On the rooster, they have the black chest, wingbar, and tail with the white hackles and saddle, just like the standard Silver Duckwing color. (In fact, I believe I've heard some people refer to the Silver Phoenix as a Silver Duckwing Phoenix.) As far as the tail, I have had some young EE mixes who did have a much longer tail. Your pullet might just have a longer tail and may grow into it as she grows. ;)

One of my current EEs:

View attachment 3631763
I have found that is common as well with my Easter Eggers, one pullet had a long feather that almost looked like a sickle but it was rounded, like yours. (She passed away, so I never got a picture of it.) I have seen it multitude of times on BackYard Chickens, with new chicken-keepers thinking their pullet is a cockerel. Easter Eggers are among the easiest to sex for me, but it seems hard for new chicken-keepers.

Yes, Phoenix chickens do have slate legs.

I have found that is common as well with my Easter Eggers, one pullet had a long feather that almost looked like a sickle but it was rounded, like yours. (She passed away, so I never got a picture of it.) I have seen it multitude of times on BackYard Chickens, with new chicken-keepers thinking their pullet is a cockerel. Easter Eggers are among the easiest to sex for me, but it seems hard for new chicken-keepers.
Thank you!

One of my current EEs:

View attachment 3631763
Got it, Thanks for explaining!

I am thinking one of my 5-month-old Speckled Sussex hens is a rooster. No crowing, yet and she is very friendly with the other two, not challenging my other roosters but appears to have bumps on the backs of her legs. None have laid eggs. Is she maybe just a bit older?

Attachments

• WIN_20231025_11_14_58_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231025_11_14_58_Pro.jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 20
  • WIN_20231025_11_14_46_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231025_11_14_46_Pro.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 19
  • WIN_20231025_11_14_51_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231025_11_14_51_Pro.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 18
I am thinking one of my 5-month-old Speckled Sussex hens is a rooster. No crowing, yet and she is very friendly with the other two, not challenging my other roosters but appears to have bumps on the backs of her legs. None have laid eggs. Is she maybe just a bit older?
Can you get some better pictures of the saddle area? I can't make out the feathers in the photos well enough to give a confident opinion. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom