Is this a swollen face?

SCOUT123

Songster
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
San Jose, CA
Her sister's been pecking at the side that basically has no hair anymore (it was really dirty). Could this be mycoplasma, or is it just because of the pecking? I saw her scratch at it twice. The area that i think looks a little weird is the one to the left of her nostril.

^ The "normal" side

Yesterday morning she was a little hoarse, but that's because they screamed the whole day afterI locked them into their coop for a day trip. After some "warming up", she sounded normal again.

If it's swelling or mycoplasma, what can i do to treat it?
I'm pretty sure it's just because her sister's been pecking around that area a lot. It did help get her face cleaner, though. It was covered in dirt before :lol: Should I put anything on her face?

*Forgot to add that she's not showing any other symptoms. There is no nasal or eye discharge. Her breathing sounds normal; she's eating, drinking, and laying fine. There is no cough.

Last edited:
It could be peck wounds, and there could be some pus inside. You might try lancing one, and trying to squeeze out any pus or solid mass.

It could be peck wounds, and there could be some pus inside. You might try lancing one, and trying to squeeze out any pus or solid mass.
Could I put something on it in the meantime? I mean, I don't want to lance her, but if I have to, I will. So in the meantime I'd like to try everything I can to prevent doing that to her. I'm not even sure how i'd get a sharp thing anywhere close to her face anyways
lau.gif

So are there any alternatives to lancing?
bow.gif
I don't think the "friendly pecks" broke skin, so how could there be pus? (still a noob at this lol) And will the hairs grow back? It's not mycoplasma, right? (Sorry for so many questions lmao)

I would probably just watch it. Iodine would be something that you could use on the bumps. Let us know here if your hen develops any other symptoms, such as runny nose, foamy eyes, or coughing.

I would probably just watch it. Iodine would be something that you could use on the bumps. Let us know here if your hen develops any other symptoms, such as runny nose, foamy eyes, or coughing.
thank you; you've been so helpful
smile.png

should i put neosporin on it in the meantime? and what does iodine do to the bump exactly?

The iodine or betadine would disinfect the area, and help to dry out the bumps. Antibiotic ointment could also be used instead, but may collect dirt or get hot in the sun. You really don't have to use either one.

The iodine or betadine would disinfect the area, and help to dry out the bumps. Antibiotic ointment could also be used instead, but may collect dirt or get hot in the sun. You really don't have to use either one.
Thanks! So do I just dab the iodine on her face directly or do I dilute it first, and what should i do if I accidentally get it in her mouth/eyes/nose?

Betadine 10% can be used directly on the skin with a QTip. I would avoid the eyes especially. Wrap her in a towel or get another pair of hands to apply it.

Back
Top Bottom