Is this a terrible example of a silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by motorboat, Jun 11, 2016.

1. motorboat

motorboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    I found her at a feed store. She has 5 toes. She is small but not quite bantam size. She rarely lays eggs (light brown). Her legs have only a trace of feathering.

I love her nonetheless. She has a really cute personality and she's so unique to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Her comb is an automatic disqualification, but she is a pretty bird and will make a good pet and potential broody hen.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She is very pretty in her own right but, not a good quality silkie. Silkies generally make the best broody hens and people often keep them just for that reason. You could buy fertile eggs of any breed and slip them under her when/if she goes broody. She would hatch and raise as her own.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Honestly, yes. If she didn't have silkied feathers, she looks nothing like a silkie. Wrong body shape and comb. Too lightly feathered legs.

But what does that matter? I'm pretty sure you weren't planning to show her or breed her for SOP chicks. I've got a silkie hen who also is far from "quality". But, she's sweet, she's actually a decent enough layer, and at this very moment she's setting on eggs yet again and is a fantastic momma. Makes her a keeper in my book.....
    here's my Beth,

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Nottingham72

Nottingham72 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Stafford Virginia
    My first flock was Silkies 2 years ago and several looked just like her. They are great chickens! Enjoy her. Mine laid often the first year, but not much after that year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by