Is this a true respiratory infection?

We don't care to do the breeding ourselves at this point in time. I just got off the phone with our avian vet. She said that since the noise was just that one time and has been asymptomatic for the rest, that it could have been a mucus plug that is just now making it's way out. Due to the large number of respiratory diseases that can appear in chickens she recommended a longer period of watching. She also mentioned that antibiotics don't help all of them. So, watch and see.

Ferleen, we introduced the Rhode Island Reds a couple weeks after acquiring the main flock. 48 hrs later the first red went down. Before that, no symptoms were seen. They were all fine when we all went to bed, but in the morning it was curled up and barely breathing. It was dead by the afternoon. A second red went just as fast, but the 1 Brahma lasted another 48 hrs. It was weird. Not even the flies would touch it. I medicated the entire flock for 2 weeks and they never got any worse than some lethargy. They all did go into a partial molt. We have 1 Brahma laying again, but the rest are still recovering I guess. I was told, this is also normal.

I am very aware that MG and IB are quite different, thank you.

As I said before, we all do what we feel is best for our flocks. A simple difference in flock management. That's all.

MrsB
I apologize, I realize I came across in a way I did not mean to. The way you were speaking, it seemed like you were saying any bird will have any sort respiratory illness it's whole life, and if your birds got sick at all you had to keep them in a closed flock or kill them all.
I just find it a bit rash to advise someone to cull all of their birds, including seemingly-healthy ones, without testing. Especially in this heat, where winter-hardy breeds that don't tolerate heat well could easily get heat stroke without proper shade, water, and dusting areas.

Back
Top Bottom