Is this a tumor? Should I be doing something different?

benw

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014

My first attempt at meat chickens produced some huge chickens (probably too big) at 8 weeks. while their are many things I learned and tons that I would do different, This growth in the center of one of my chickens is baffling me. It looks like an artichoke heart and it is on both sides of the breast bone. I threw out the whole chicken out of fear for what this disgusting growth could be but any knowledgeable feedback would be appreciated.

My first attempt at meat chickens produced some huge chickens (probably too big) at 8 weeks. while their are many things I learned and tons that I would do different, This growth in the center of one of my chickens is baffling me. It looks like an artichoke heart and it is on both sides of the breast bone. I threw out the whole chicken out of fear for what this disgusting growth could be but any knowledgeable feedback would be appreciated.
Does it look like it is part of the breast meat tender? If so, it is Green muscle disease.

The other meat is not bad. This is "green muscle disease", which usually affects the chicken tender portion of the Breast. Look at this and see if this is what it looks like....look at figure 4. This is because of bleeding into the muscle of the bird, which when it resolves will give a green look to the meat because of the breakdown of the blood. If you find that in the future, just cut it out and discard, then use the rest of the bird. It usually affects the chicken tender portion of the breast.

www.aviagen.com/.../English/AviagenBrief_Green_Muscle.pdf

Last edited:
From what I understand, it has to do with the flapping of the bird's wings, which ruptures blood vessels, causing them to bleed into the breast tender tissue. The presence of the blood damages the tender and cuts off the blood supply to some of the tissue, and it dies and breaks down.....a gangrene of sorts The breakdown of the blood is what gives it the green color. If you had killed the bird shortly after the bleeding, you would have found blood. The presence of the green indicates that it happened some time back, and had gone through the healing process.....if you can call it that.

It happens in the broiler birds, especially the Cornish Rock.

GREEN MUSCLE DISEASE
Also called Deep Pectoral Myopathy, which is the necrosis of the Pectoralis Minor (tender) muscle of poultry. Necrotic tenders appear yellowish-green in color.

Green Muscle Disease results from vigorous activity of both major and minor pectoralis muscles, but only the tenders are afflicted. Compared to other muscles, the tenders have a more rigid muscle cover and are confined to a tight space within the body such that they can't expand to accommodate this increased blood flow. The net result of the muscle being confined and compressed is self strangulation, suffocation and eventually necrosis.

Increased broiler activity induced by such factors as feed or water outages, lighting programs, catching and live haul, and even excessive noise, may result in an increased incidence of Green Muscle Disease.

Back
Top Bottom