Is this a vein in the egg?

duckman4450

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
It is actually a mallard duck egg but I assumed the same things applied with chicken eggs. The egg is about 4 and a half days old. I have another that has tons of veins and I can see the heart beat already which is exciting!:D but this egg I noticed had a VERY thick red line, and I was curious to know if it is just a vein or something possibly worse.

Here is a picture of it.
http://imgur.com/hFvEa

Last edited:
It's hard to say, it could be a pooling of blood indicating the embryo has died, or it could be the beginning of veining, you should know more in a couple of days. If it's alive it will develop more veining, if not it will stay as it is and turn brownish. I know that's not very helpful but I couldn't say for certain either way based on the pic...

Last edited:
It's hard to say, it could be a pooling of blood indicating the embryo has died, or it could be the beginning of veining, you should know more in a couple of days. If it's alive it will develop more veining, if not it will stay as it is and turn brownish. I know that's not very helpful but I couldn't say for certain either way based on the pic...

Thanks for the reply. I'll candle it tomorrow at evening turn and see what it's doing

If I had to guess I would say its probably no longer alive, but at four days I woudln't throw anything out unless it was a stinker...

Back
Top Bottom