Is this a Walnut comb?

Here's an example of my mature Sebright hen with a Rose comb. Way more bumps than your girl and not nearly as puffy.

I have no experience with Wyandottes though - so I will defer to those who have more knowledge concerning that breed to advise if that is indeed a rose comb on your girl :)

Edited To Add: Do the Wyandottes have the smooth gene with their Rose Comb? To remove the bumps??

Nugget Comb.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an example of my mature Sebright hen with a Rose comb. Way more bumps than your girl and not nearly as puffy.

I have no experience with Wyandottes though - so I will defer to those who have more knowledge concerning that breed to advise if that is indeed a rose comb on your girl :)

Edited To Add: Do the Wyandottes have the smooth gene with their Rose Comb? To remove the bumps??

View attachment 2852796
I think so?

It is NOT a rose comb though she has the rose comb inversion on chromosome 7. This is a good example of a modifier gene on chromosome 1 that results in a flattened rose comb. As others noted, this comb phenotype has become common in Wyandottes over the last several years. If you cross her with a straight comb, the chicks will probably all have a large mush comb. Cross the F1's to each other and the chicks will segregate with some having a knob like comb, some with rose comb, some straight comb, and some with the original comb like hers and there will be a few more with odd combinations. Since 2 genes on 2 different chromosomes are involved, a Punnett square will show 16 combinations of which 12 should be unique.

And yes, I've seen this first hand in my Wyandottes when I crossed to blue egg laying Brown Leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom