Is this a Welsummer or Brown Leghorn?

SweetWilliam

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Lory State Park, Bellvue, CO
Hi,
I'm brand new to chickens this year. Against my better judgment, I "rescued" three supposed Welsummers that were not in good feather due to overcrowding and pecking. Now out of quarantine, they are all robust and growing feathers back very well. Here is the one in question. I think she's around 11 weeks old now. She's got a different, slightly larger comb and wattles than the others and lighter, but not bright white earlobes. She's still sporting the Bluecote on her bum that she's been treated with. Thanks!

Hi,
I'm brand new to chickens this year. Against my better judgment, I "rescued" three supposed Welsummers that were not in good feather due to overcrowding and pecking. Now out of quarantine, they are all robust and growing feathers back very well. Here is the one in question. I think she's around 11 weeks old now. She's got a different, slightly larger comb and wattles than the others and lighter, but not bright white earlobes. She's still sporting the Bluecote on her bum that she's been treated with. Thanks!
welcome-byc.gif

She has the wrong shape for a Leghorn. The comb is not like a leghorn either. She probably is a Wellsummer.

Wow, that was fast! Thanks so much for the reply, Ron. I was hoping for those dark chocolate eggs from these girls one day. She's a keeper either way, as she's been a good girl.
Best regards,
Billie

I don't think that she is either. It looks like a mix, maybe with some "production red" or Rhode Island Red in her. Definitely not a Leghorn or Welsummer.

I don't think that she is either. It looks like a mix, maybe with some "production red" or Rhode Island Red in her. Definitely not a Leghorn or Welsummer.
No Production red or RIR in her.

The Thread Starter said the tail is gunked up with Blu Kote. It is not Black like an RIR.

Thanks, everyone! I'll repost a better picture of her when she matures and doesn't have a blue behind. Whatever she is, she and her cohorts have bounced back quickly from a very sad start.
Best to all,
Billie

Ok, here she is now. I think she's about 6 months old and she lays a very large olive egg every day,
although she's petite relative to my Easter eggers. She's friendly and chatty and supervises all of my chicken chores. Whatever she is, I would take a dozen more like her.

Ok, here she is now. I think she's about 6 months old and she lays a very large olive egg every day,
although she's petite relative to my Easter eggers. She's friendly and chatty and supervises all of my chicken chores. Whatever she is, I would take a dozen more like her.

I think there is some Wheaten Penedesenca in that pullet--crossed with a straight combed blue egg layer.

Lovely!

Back
Top Bottom