Is this a Welsummer or Brown Leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SweetWilliam, Sep 28, 2013.

1. SweetWilliam

SweetWilliam Out Of The Brooder

Hi,
    I'm brand new to chickens this year. Against my better judgment, I "rescued" three supposed Welsummers that were not in good feather due to overcrowding and pecking. Now out of quarantine, they are all robust and growing feathers back very well. Here is the one in question. I think she's around 11 weeks old now. She's got a different, slightly larger comb and wattles than the others and lighter, but not bright white earlobes. She's still sporting the Bluecote on her bum that she's been treated with. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

She has the wrong shape for a Leghorn. The comb is not like a leghorn either. She probably is a Wellsummer.

3. SweetWilliam

Wow, that was fast! Thanks so much for the reply, Ron. I was hoping for those dark chocolate eggs from these girls one day. She's a keeper either way, as she's been a good girl.
    Best regards,
    Billie

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Neither one. Looks more like a hatchery new Hampshire, something like that.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that she is either. It looks like a mix, maybe with some "production red" or Rhode Island Red in her. Definitely not a Leghorn or Welsummer.

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    No Production red or RIR in her.

The Thread Starter said the tail is gunked up with Blu Kote. It is not Black like an RIR.

7. SweetWilliam

Thanks, everyone! I'll repost a better picture of her when she matures and doesn't have a blue behind. Whatever she is, she and her cohorts have bounced back quickly from a very sad start.
    Best to all,
    Billie

8. SweetWilliam

Ok, here she is now. I think she's about 6 months old and she lays a very large olive egg every day,
    although she's petite relative to my Easter eggers. She's friendly and chatty and supervises all of my chicken chores. Whatever she is, I would take a dozen more like her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I think there is some Wheaten Penedesenca in that pullet--crossed with a straight combed blue egg layer.

Lovely!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The head is leghorn-like, so she could have some leghorn in her. But I think she's just a mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by